Yet another HD Cam Thread (EX1 vs HVX vs HD250) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Yet another HD Cam Thread (EX1 vs HVX vs HD250)

Ok....

quick background, i own 2 xl1-s cams, and while i love them, i realize it is time to upgrade. Now of course i have several shoots right around nab where i want a higher quality image, so no real holding out for new models.

Originally i was sold on the JVC HD250, for i wanted a shoulder mount camera with HD-SDI out (wasn't crazy about the XL-H1). I want to make my purchase last for several years (4-5 years) so i figure with the XDR coming out, and the HD-SDI i would be set for that time frame. Con to this is that i'd only get HDV on tape, and not crazy about that format.

I've always considered the HVX200, especially after seeing some of the amazing footage from the DVX. So i realize this cam would facilitate a transition to tapeless and HD. A majority of the work i do now is SD, but i just want better optics - especially after seeing the XH-A1. How well does the HVX compare to the DVX when shooting in SD?

Now for the new contenders, the EX1 and also the Z27. I used to despise sony based upon past experiences, however both of these are so innovative that i can't not consider them.

Now like i said, all of my work is currently SD, I shoot mostly training videos and corporate stuff. I want better optics and image processing over the XL1s, but i'm not completely sold on I need HD right now. However, I've got some lofty ideas on wanting to produce a TV show for HGTV/DIY, so i'm not even sure which cam would be best....DVCProHD, HDV streams, or that HD-SDI MPEG-2 stream.....ahh, i'm so confused!

Is it better to go pick up a used DVX for the next few weeks and hold out til after NAB, or should i just bite the bullet and invest in a new HD system?\

what are your thoughts and suggestions?
~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Mike, I am in the same situation.

My way of coping is to wait for NAB and see if anything new is mentioned and try not to think about it!

I really want to create the great images that come with shooting in HD, but in reality, it is still kind of early in the cycle to be producing in HD for non-broadcast work.

If they had made the EX-1 a shoulder mount like the HD-200, I probably already own one.

After using larger format cameras for many years, I just do not like handycam sized cameras. - At least for my need to last 4-5 years HD upgrade from my already paid for, do the job fine SD cameras.

Also, I just can not have a camera that is F8 at 2000 lux. I film i so many different situations, having a light hungry camera, even though it is HD is a drawback imho.

So have trained myself to wait and see and if nothing catches my eye, I will wait longer because its going on DVD for the next few years anyway.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rinkunas View Post
Is it better to go pick up a used DVX for the next few weeks and hold out til after NAB, or should i just bite the bullet and invest in a new HD system?\

~Mike

You might consider a used FX1 for the short term. You can get a good one, in the low $2000s nowadays. You could certainly use that for SD right now (either shoot DV or shoot HDV and then downsample in post for a little better image) and wind up with a nice backup camera, when you do need to go to HD and buy new cameras.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rinkunas View Post
Speaking as one who will hand over cash in the next couple of days for an EX1, the reason why I will do so over an HVX200 (which is an awesome camera with which I have shot some of my best stuff) is the lens.

I am through with soft. I am so over 'that will do'. 1/3" is yesterday.

I want 11 stops of gamma, I want shadows, highlights, AND mids. I want sharpness that painlessly slices your cornea. I want to focus on a viewfinder without resorting to a huge screen hanging off my camera. I want 25p and 50i and 720p and Standard Def at the same time. I want a clear separation between foreground and background.

So I say "Choose EX1, choose a big eff-off sensor, choose latitude, choose sharpness, choose time spent hiding detail in your down-convert, choose a big bucket of cheap hard disks to store your footage. Choose nailing your focus on the viewfinder for a change. Choose breathtaking footage. Choose slo-mo and timelapse. Choose a piddly little camera that barks and bites like a monster."

Oops - the nurse says I must rest now.

But honestly, the Z1 and FX-1 are great for SD, but really - in two years with two Z1s, they don't really do HD - though their HD does SD really well.

But if the HVX300 with AVC-Intra (at same bitrate as XDCAM-HD 35 MBPS or maybe pushing it to 50 MBS 4:2:2 5:1 compression) does something special with its sensors (equal to or better than 1440x1080) and a Leica lens we're in for a treat.

Sit back and enjoy the fight, or join in and make some money.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition