Why no 720/60 on 1080 cams? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

This is all fine and good...

I hate to be the cynic here guys, but these companies dont want to make the perfect camera. Frankly, it's bad for business! Think about it, if the companies made a camera that did everything, than everybody would not buy a camera in the future until the resolution changed.
Call me paranoid, but why would any of these companies want to build a "perfect" camera?
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM   #17
Inner Circle

But right now we can't make the perfect camera...

There are companies like Red who are pushing the performance/price envelope.... but even they aren't making the "perfect" camera.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Krugman View Post
Call me paranoid, but why would any of these companies want to build a "perfect" camera?
Worry that if they didn't do it, somebody else would? In practice, price also comes into the equation - no good building a "perfect camera" if nobody could afford it. Hence all design results in compromise to one extent, and the lower the price, the bigger the compromises have to be. Good design normally means not compromising one aspect far greater than any other - no point in having the "perfect" recording system married to a poor front end, and vice versa.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I'm pretty much with Casey on this one!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I perfect example is the Sony PDW-700. It shoots 25p, 30p, 50p & 60p, but it does not shoot 24p.

Now I don't engineer these things, but if it can shoot 25p, how much more engineering needs to happen to offer 24p on a $30,000 camera?

I have been wrong before.

I have seen a post or two about the addition of 24p to this camera though.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I perfect example is the Sony PDW-700. It shoots 25p, 30p, 50p & 60p, but it does not shoot 24p.

Now I don't engineer these things, but if it can shoot 25p, how much more engineering needs to happen to offer 24p on a $30,000 camera?

I have been wrong before.

I have seen a post or two about the addition of 24p to this camera though.
Hmm... according to Sony "XDCAM HD products can record video signals in 1080/59.94i, 50i, 29.97P, 25P and native 23.98P"

Of course, this is a XDCAM HD 4.2.2 camera and they might feel there could be some stepping on toes with the F900R
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
But right now we can't make the perfect camera...

There are companies like Red who are pushing the performance/price envelope.... but even they aren't making the "perfect" camera.
What is the perfect camera? What is perfect for me may not be perfect for you or the next guy.

As far as the other comment on companies don't want to make the perfect camera... I Think that has some merit. Companies want repeat customers; that's how they make money.

On the subject of 1080p 60... 1080p HD displays are already out. The technology could possibly make it a reality for Broadcast television. However, with all the money invested in HD, I don't think broadcasters are in a hurry to change.

Finally, on the subject of digital SD, I think when digital HD hits the airwaves and replaces analog, I see SD fading fast. It will survive a few years in smaller markets and non-peak times, but I think when the public gets acustomed to the high definition signal, SD will be out like black and white TVs went out when color tv hit the scene.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition