Negative Gain (ie -6db) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 13th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Negative Gain (ie -6db)

The PDW700 has a -6db gain setting, and most pro camcorders have a -3. I think I read something about this elsewhere but can't recall, just wondering about the pros and cons of negative gain. Do I remember rightly that you get less noise (obviously) but also less dynamic range? I kind of always assume the less gain the better, so would tend to want to shoot -6db on the PDW700 (as it has such good light-gathering you still get plenty of exposure even at -6), but if it's going to lose out in DR or something else then it's probably not worth it as the 700 is so noise-free anyway.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Steve, I've never heard anything about the lower gain settings creating less dynamic range. Higher gain settings don't create more dynamic range just more noise. My $.02 worth. I generally like to run my cameras at -3 anyway. I really can't wait to get my hands on a 700!
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
Steve, I've never heard anything about the lower gain settings creating less dynamic range. Higher gain settings don't create more dynamic range just more noise. My $.02 worth. I generally like to run my cameras at -3 anyway. I really can't wait to get my hands on a 700!
Not well known, but it does reduce the dynamic range by reducing the headroom available for overexposure.

Understanding gain settings [Archive] - The Digital Video Information Network

However, many people do happily use -3 as a ND and for reduced noise.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Brian, was starting to think I'd imagined it!
It's above my head though, and I'm still no clearer as to whether it's a good idea or not.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
Steve, I've never heard anything about the lower gain settings creating less dynamic range. Higher gain settings don't create more dynamic range just more noise. My $.02 worth.
Think of a chip as being a device for converting light into an electrical voltge. The more light you put in, the higher the voltage - up to a point. At a certain level the output of the chip will limit, no matter how brighter it gets, the voltage is constant.

That may be (say) 600% larger than the amount of light needed to produce a nominal white at the 0dB setting - but the chip output between 100% and 600% gets processed to put detail into the highlights, and stop them abruptly burning out.

Put negative gain in and you now need (say) 200% to produce the nominal white, hence the headroom necessary for processing highlights is reduced.

Those are the underlying principles anyway, in practice it's dangerous to generalise. Practically, a valuable use for negative gain can be to control depth of field, the NDs may give coarse ranges of iris, which gain settings can fine tune.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition