Need Advice on Canon XH-A1 etc. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I mentioned the Libec 22 as being barely adequate.
Still, if that's all a guy can afford at the time, you can make do with it. Better than shooting everything hand held.
When I got my A1, I looked at several different tripods. I had to balance budget with quality, therefore I settled on the Libec 22. I've been very happy with the tripod and I think its a great tripod to start out with.
Roger Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Manning View Post
Hello all, I just recently entered into the world of independent film making with my acquisition of the Canon XH-A1 (No Complaints yet) but I do have a few questions for your experts here at DVI. I plan on making documentaries and short films, but mostly the latter. Here are my questions:

1. I have multiple tripods lying around my home, however, I need a tripod that can pan and tilt fluidly and without any hiccups. Any suggestions? Is there a great tripod under two-hundred bucks that does this well? If I said fluid 2-way head would I be correct?

2. I've heard a lot about the dangers of using the camera's playback. Are these substantial claims? Will it kill the heads? Can I use it to move my footage onto my computer (via firewire)?

3. I purchased the Sony HDV 1080i tapes to use on my Canon XH-A1. So far they have worked fantastic. Lots of people warn against using a different brand of tapes on the same camera. Any thoughts?

4. I was told in a tutorial video, before you start to film on any video camera, to fast forward through the entire tape then completely rewind to adjust the tapes tension to the cameras liking - never heard of this before it was mentioned by the video instructor - anyone have an idea if this is true or practical?

Thanks for everything in guys...really appreciate the help.

With respect to "pre tensioning" the tapes....I recall that being done going all the way back to my audio days in thew mid-seventies (oops, I am dating myself).

Reason it was done then and recommended by the manufacturers of the day (Scotch, Ampex) was so that the tape would not stick to itself when recording. Reels of tape were not always stored under ideal conditions, there may be variations in humidity and / other factors that could cause the sticking and sometimes result in tape sticking and causing errors. I saw it most commonly recommended with use of open reel audio tapes, and cassettes.

I have not done it much in video lately, it doesn't seem as necessary, in part because mini DV tapes don't approach the tape speeds used in past tape formats, and improvements in manufacturing. You can do it today if you want, it will not hurt anything, but I d not beleive it's necessary.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition