Sony, Canon, JVC ????????? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony, Canon, JVC ?????????

Ok here is my delima, I currently have two GL2's and one JVC GY-DV5100. I have started doing some weddings and commercial work, but the JVC is a tad big (great picture though).

And to be quit honest more than I really need. I have contimplated on selling the JVC and getting two HD cameras for what I paid for the JVC. Or getting rid of all the cameras and going with Sony's HVR-Z1U or sticking with the SD format and getting the DSR-PD170.

I have used the VX-2100 and the low light functions are alot better that the GL2's. But nothing can beat the JVC as far as I have seen. I want something small that will perform great in lowlight and have a great picture during the day.

What should I do, keep what I got. Or scrap it all and get Sony's.
Mike Hockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

apples and oranges.
you're right the GL2 especially in low light can't even come close to comparing to the 170 or the 5100-and since I have owned both 150s, 170s, 250s and JVC5000s here's my take.
You can't compare the 5100 with it's 12" chips to any 1/3 inch chip camera. In therory at least. I used to use my 5000 and 150 together and while getting a color match required some effort (well a lot actually) the 150 blew the 5000 away in low light wedding receptions. And of course was quite a bit easier to use from a standpoint of sheer weight. Hey, I use Hytron 120s which at 5.5lbs plus the camera, light and wireless receiver all came in around 22 pounds-I went to Dionic 90s and the weight came way down but was still a bit of an issue. Anyway, the 5100 is a better camera than the 500 I had, better DSP (firmware from JVC) better colors sharper look and 3 XLRs. If it were me, I'd sell it all and get a couple of Sonys-the 170s if HD(V) isn't a big issue for you andif it is thenlook at the Z5/FX1000 combination- unless you have a NEED for a full sized camera in that case look at the S270 and if you HAVE to have interchangable lens then the Z7/S270 combo could work. There are lots of other combinations out there from JVC and Sony. Right now I disagree with a lot of folks about the HD situation in the wedding industry. My experience says solid steady footage, sharp in focus, good color and really good audio is what people want, and IF we happen to get an award winner, great but most weddings aren't-they're weddings most all the same and I haven't seen (talked to actually) too many people interested in HD YET.
Manybe it's just my clients maybe it's just me but for now I'll stick with SD and my 150/170 combo.
YMMV
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Major Player

What type of commercial work are you doing? I know there may be some instances where having a larger cam impresses the client, even if it is not really necessary technically.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The commercial work that I have done so far, involves building video for some Chamber of Commerce websites, mostly all web based video's. I work a full time job outside of the video industry and I am trying to get something going in my area.

I haven't had time to market different types of commercial work.

Thanks for the input.
Mike Hockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Major Player

I'll chime in here agreeing with Don. For weddings color, sharpness and of course the abilities of the operator is more important than being on HD, that you can't really deliver to them on a decent budget anyway.

The HD cameras 1/3 all brands are bad for low light. Some are worse than others. The Sony 1/2" XdCAm-EX might be a nice one though. I hear nothing but good things about it.

In my world I dumped my sony 3 chips DV-Cams and picked up a JVC HD110 and haven't looked back since. I also haven't done wedding parties since either. Not that I mind not doing weddings either.

My JVC low light is unimpressive and the electronic gain isn't great either. The mild gain +9 and below is nice. However the JVC HD100/200 series cameras have a lot better low light capable in SD mode (wide screen included) than they do in HD mode. Maybe think about a good HD camera, but weddings shoot anamorphic SD?

If I were doing weddings I would shoot my camera 1280x720 1/3 chips that over sample for SD (gaining 2 stops?) and shoot widescreen (my preference 24p because I'm just that way) so it will play well on their new HDTV.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition