Interview with Mark Linfield BBC NHU at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Interview with Mark Linfield BBC NHU

There's a lengthy interview with Mark Linfield (BBC NHU Planet Earth producer) on reelshow dated 1/11/2008
He talks about film vs hd etc. for wildlife.
In summary; they like the new P2 Varicam 2700 because of 10 bit recording (gives better image in high-lattitude situations), getting to grips with the ups and downs of solid state workflows - they go to mirrored RAID drive in field then LTO tape at base.
RED etc., at 4k loses lots of res after de-bayering so would probably equal 1080 2/3" camera at best, and you'd have 35mm sensor so lenses would be about 2.5x lesss magnification so not so good for wildlife - same problem with 35mm cinecamera use.

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Steve, it won't play in my browser, just a black window! Maybe this is due to limitation playing this outside GB?
Anybody else have the same problem?
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Maybe, or not sure if you have to sign up? I have had issues with it in the past. Very interesting for wildlife shooters anyway. You don't get any audio either? You don't really need a picture as it's just Mark talking.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Steve, are you sure that the link is right? The link says:
Code:
http://www.reel-show.tv/
There is no sound/audio or picture in the browser, just a black window. Viewing the code tells me that this is a flash movie.
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi again, there seem to be something wrong at the PC at my end. I was able to view the programme on my trusty Mac Pro :-)

Interesting to watch his thought about the future of wildlife filming.

Note: you have to register (which is for free) to be able to watch this. Once registered just fill out Linfield in the search field (keyword) and and you're ready to go!
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, sorry Per Johan, there wasn't any specific link to the interview, as you say you need to search.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition