24p please advise! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Major Player

24p please advise!

Do pans and "pulls" (like moving forward or back) look too jittery in 24p? If so is there a particular speed that is problematic -and would moving extremely fast or extremely slow have better results?
I have some experience with 24p, but I need to research any aesthetic concerns and benefits. I may have to use it for a particular project that has little room for error.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It depends on how fast you do them. Yes, they will look stuttery if you do them too fast. There are standards for speeds of pans for 24p in most cinematographers handbooks. You probably can find a list through google.

Best,
Andy
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Another thought came to mind: There are times where I need to lower the shutter speed to stylize with a natural motion blur effect. In my camera it's no problem, I can use 30 or 15, even 8.
Does the shutter speed work the same way in 24p, or are there potential problems I should be aware of? I hope to get enough practice to test all my concerns, but it if anyone wants to share their experience w/ 24p it would be a great heads up.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
Does the shutter speed work the same way in 24p, or are there potential problems I should be aware of?
Well, sorta. Remember that you're already shooting slower shutter speeds with 24p if you follow normal guidelines. By that I mean that normal for 60i is 1/60. That goes down to 1/48 or 1/24 for 24p. Aside from that, there shouldn't be much difference.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Major Player

I hear there is some chart for panning speeds in 24p, and I assume other frame rates as well. I guess it's the ASC handbook or something? I just can't find this thing though, so if any one has a link please post it. Thanks.
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Major Player

There is a chart, but here is the answer. Crossing from 1 side of frame to the other should take a minimum of 5 seconds. No idea if that was referring to the old 4:3 film aspect ratio or a 1:85. But basically shoot 1/48th and keep zooms/pans a little slower than you might with 60i video or a little faster (whip pans). Other suggestions.

1. Really pan with a subject matter... ok any speed.
2. Keeping the aperture near wide open and lens at near longest telephoto range with the subject close to the camera and the background far away and now out of focus, then any panning jitters will go away.

It's really not complicated at all. Just have too pan a little slower or with a subject or do more cut aways. I shoot my friend's soccer games in 24p at 1/60th (nicer slow motion replays than 1/48th but you should REALLY be at 1/48th) and as long as I pan with the ball or action, then no one notices the blurry stands moving kind of choppy.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Great, I hoped that panning with a subject wouldn't be a big problem. And super quick pans sound ok, if I'm understanding you.
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
Do pans and "pulls" (like moving forward or back) look too jittery in 24p? If so is there a particular speed that is problematic -and would moving extremely fast or extremely slow have better results?
I have some experience with 24p, but I need to research any aesthetic concerns and benefits. I may have to use it for a particular project that has little room for error.
You get jerky motion mostly when you playback 24p at 29.976 fps. you can greatly reduce judder by using 2:3:3:2 pulldown instead of 2:3:2:3.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

24P or 59.54i

I am shooting a one hour long documentary film. I want this to be telecasted on various channels (Discovery 1920*1080 59.94i).I had also planned a feature film on the same subject and therefore shot some on 24p. The feature film project could not took off but the documentary can be completed.
The already shot footage is on --
HDW F750 1080i/59.94
HDC F950R 1080/24p
DVCPRO HD varricam 720/24p
DVCPRO HD HDX900 720/24p
HDV HVX202
75 % shoot remains for an hour long documentary. In future I would like to shoot on HDX900 DVCPRO HD (principle camera) and PMW EX3 (B Camera)
1.Does 24p acceptable to the channel and other broadcasters ?
2. What frame rate should be adopted for the remaining shoot?
3. What editing path I must follow to get the best resolution, please guide.
4. How can I convert the above footage in acceptable resolution or should I re-shoot?
Please advise
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramji Meena View Post
I am shooting a one hour long documentary film. I want this to be telecasted on various channels (Discovery 1920*1080 59.94i).I had also planned a feature film on the same subject and therefore shot some on 24p. The feature film project could not took off but the documentary can be completed.
The already shot footage is on --
HDW F750 1080i/59.94
HDC F950R 1080/24p
DVCPRO HD varricam 720/24p
DVCPRO HD HDX900 720/24p
HDV HVX202
75 % shoot remains for an hour long documentary. In future I would like to shoot on HDX900 DVCPRO HD (principle camera) and PMW EX3 (B Camera)
1.Does 24p acceptable to the channel and other broadcasters ?
2. What frame rate should be adopted for the remaining shoot?
3. What editing path I must follow to get the best resolution, please guide.
4. How can I convert the above footage in acceptable resolution or should I re-shoot?
Please advise
Forgive if my questions are silly .I am new and have very less funds available for consultations.Please comment
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition