trading in XHA1 for HPX171 good idea? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Major Player

trading in XHA1 for HPX171 good idea?

I'm considering selling my Canon (xha1) and buying the latest camera from Panasonic (hpx171).

There are a number of reasons.

I like the look of the Panasonic DVCpro HD camcorders, and am not mad about HDV, though to be fair, it's served me well over the last couple of years.

The colours on the Panasonic have always appealed to me, and it's clear that the latest camera has a significantly better low-light performance than its predecessor the HVX200.

It's as good a time as any to go solid state. I usually have a laptop on hand and P2 card prices/sizes have improved.

The HPX is smaller, and as a travel doco camera, makes you look more of a tourist which is desirable for me.

So here's a few things i like about the Panasonic, perhaps someone wants to challenge this. I'm in no hurry to sell my canon which i think is a fantastic camcorder, but i do feel like a change. I still resent the price of p2 cards and would prefer if the panasonic shot to SxS which seem to me to be a better deal, but i also feel the DVCPro HD codec is superior to HDV for what i want.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone things i should hang on to the canon and why?

And finally:

As a matter of interest, why is the HVX still more expensive than the newer HPX?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Major Player

What's "travel doco"?
I don't think the HPX170 will necessarily get you less attention than the A1. Look loke a tourist? With an HPX??? Don't think so. It will be lighter in weight, though.

It sounds like you want to switch due to the Panasonic's color and low light ability....and that makes some sense. But really, unless you really need the ability to use its over/under cranking, you may be better served by looking at the HMC150. Its media (SDHC cards) are a whole lot less money, and its performance is essentially the same.
And remember, the Panasonic may look a little softer than the A1.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Steve,

By "a travel doco" i meant an on the move documentary in far off lands where you don't have official filming permission and thus want to look like a tourist rather than a filmaker. I was in the Middle East last year with my XHA1 and felt very nervous and often kicked myself for not bringing along a less conspicuous camera. I take your point about the hpx171 still looking a bit "professional". Something like a Canon HV20 would have been a better choice.

"HMC150. Its media (SDHC cards) are a whole lot less money, and its performance is essentially the same. "

Really? i will look into that camera.

I'm currently doing an editing job on a project shot on the HPX500 and am quite taken with the DVCPro HD format, but it would be interesting to see any comparison's between the 171 and the 150. I must confess the price of P2 cards is a tad off-putting.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

There is a lot to like about DVCPRO-HD to be sure. If you like XDCAM-EX format JVC is releasing a new 3 chip stealth camera that records to cheap SD cards. It's small and the top handle comes off. You might still get noticed, but not as badly.

GY-HM100U is the model

JVC Professional Features page

We will start seeing sample footage in a week or so on the JVC section of this forum.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition