For any HDV'ers in Los Angeles! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 15th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #1
Trustee

For any HDV'ers in Los Angeles!

Hi,

I'm an HDV'er that's visiting Los Angeles with my girlfriend from Dec. 24th - Dec. 30th. I just wondered if anyone wanted to get together for the fun of it....maybe at a Starbucks or anywhere.

If you need help on a film project using the FX1...I'll help for free so I can check it out!

Murph
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Chris. I'm flying back into LA tommorow, and I will have a few weeks before I head out again to do a couple of projects.

If you'd like to check out the camera by all means, stop by my neck of the woods (Hollywood). I have a nice JVC 17" 1080i monitor that looks stellar, the LCD display is cool, but really doesnt do the image justice.

Anyways, if you'd like to meet up, I'm down. I'm not going to be shooting anything for a couple of days, and my crew are all off on vacation, but if you would like to check out the camera a bit, that's cool.

email me at hollywood.dork@gmail.com

-evan
Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

If you guys do end up getting together, give me a holler if you think of it. I've got to shoot something with the Z1 next month so I have to get hip to the HDV thing.
Old December 28th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Murph,

Do you have the FX1?? I've been using several different ones and all are great! I really dig it, and the reviews from Jon Fordham and I with the FX1 over the weekend should be up soon. I'm just working a bunch of 12 hour days since I'm off for 3 days, then clips, stills, etc., for you all to see!!!

heath
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm in LA until the 1st. I'm working for ABC doing the Rose Parade. We're doing the parade in 1080i even though ABC HD is 720p. I plan on putting some FX-1 footage on the air!
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

um...well chris never emailed, so i dunno whats going on.

i guess what i'm saying is if anyone in the LA area wants to take a look at the fx1, im proabably down to meet up.

Hell, you can go to samy's and just play with their demo. I was inspecting some fisheyes on their demo camera this afternoon.
Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Supercool news! I'm moving back to LA!

Hey guys, I'm really sorry I didn't call you! I stayed on La Brea at the Holiday Inn Express, and because of the nasty rain we headed to Vegas for about 2 days. (Stupid move...traffic the whole way) It's really crazy, but every single time I visit LA I'm there when disasters strike. I was there for the 94 earthquake, later on the fires in the hills and now the nastiest rain. I love that place! :)

Anyway!! I'm moving back to LA! My girlfriend had never been there before, and she ended up liking it and thankfully wants to move there. I'm really, really excited! This is my 3rd time moving to LA - 3 times a charm, I hope. It's going to take over a year to save (maybe even 2 years), but I'm coming back out. In the meantime, I'll be flying to out whenever possible.

Again, I'm sorry that I didn't call anyone. I didn't have internet access until today because of the crazy schedule change. I can't wait to live there, so I can hangout with everyone. Some of the coolest people in the world live in LA. My girlfriend commented on that over and over...

We gotta get Heath and everyone else to move out there too. Hey Heath, have you visited there yet?

Murph
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Trustee

Charles, I really wanted to meet you (next visit). We live about 40 minutes north of the Danvers Hospital....you worked on Session 9. That movie scared the Hell out of my girlfriend.........and me. I know you're from Mass, so you must have used the shoot to also visit?

Murph
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Wrangler

Yeah, I sure did. I figured, head back east in the fall, see some pretty leaves, visit my folks (they live in Newburyport MA now), do a couple of days on a little movie. I end up squatting in that hellhole mental hospital in the cold and rain and squalor for a week and a half. It was a really good movie to watch, but sure tough to work on!
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

I worked in South L.A. and Orange County summer 2003 on a bad TV show as a Final Cut Pro editor. If you look me up on imdb, you'll see the credit.

Charles, what did you do on Session 9?

I like South Florida--our indie film scene is growing!!! But I'll work in L.A.

heath
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Charles, that's totally crazy...I live 20 minutes from Newburyport and my girlfriend grew up there. She's in Newburyport right this minute visiting her parents as a matter of fact. They live over by the train station near a graveyard.

Heath, "Poorman's Bikini Beach"? Dude, I loved that show! (just kidding) Is the title reflective of the show??! I've done a IMDB listing for some of the stuff I've done...get this one, "Columbo: Undercover". I used to do a lot of extra work for like $50 a day...always got the "man behind the tree" or "man walking across street" part. I'm bummed that they won't accept my starring "extra" role as the "walking boyfriend" in Disney's "Miracle on Lane 2" with Frankie Munez. (Hey, I did 3 days for $150!)
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #12
Wrangler

You think that's funny, Heath--I met my girlfriend out here in LA; she grew up in Beverly, MA and both of our parents moved to Newburyport before we met. And my parents live near the train station also--but I don't know anything about a graveyard, yikes!

Heath, I just did Steadicam on "Session 9". The DP, Uta Briesewitz (most recently of "LAX"), does all her own conventional operating. We had worked together on an indie in Boston before I moved to LA. A friend of mine, Colin Hudson, started "Session 9" and then had to leave for another show, so I picked it up from him, again thinking I was going to get a little vacation out of the experience...!
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

Session 9 is the first CineAlta film that went to 35mm theatrically! I forget the name of the first CineAlta production, but it was a month before Star Wars Ep. 2 was shot.

heath
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Know we're off-topic, but I gotta see this now

Wow - I didn't realize the "locals" had a direct involvement with this film that my friends have been telling me to check out - so it was shot with CineAlta? I'll have to check this out...

Cool!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #15
Wrangler

A film that I saw called "Ivansxtc" was supposedly the first Cinealta feature, but I'm not sure. It was a pretty powerful film, although not great visually.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition