Need very import Advice on HDV cam replacement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 7th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #16
Rextilleon

Not sure about that one--you might contact the mfgr of your adapter---Beachtek or Studio One I assume.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #17
Trustee

Ben,
I've just ordered the FX1 and I intend to use my existing BeachTek box with it. I don't foresee any problems.
What I might do later on is to upgrade the BeachTek to the model with phantom power. That'll open up a lot more possibilities for mics.
I still don't think that the extra bucks for the Z1 is worth it (not to me anyway) for the other features.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Crunch time.
Should I wait on the Z1 and hope the financing is available for it as is the FX-1. Will the Z1 be worth the added wait time which is only a week as of now or should the FX 1 fit the bill. I base my show on content rather than film artistry so manual settings are not used very much on my cameras. I rely mainly on Autofocusing and other automatic settings due to my limited knowledge of proend filming. With that being said everything is a work in progress and we attempt to get better and better each show filming wise. Please give me some of the cold hard facts that would make the Z1 worth waiting for.

I really appreciate any and all input as you guys are my sole advisors in this professional decision.

Thanks,
Capt Ben
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #19

The FX1 and Z1 aren't too good in low light and,

I keep hearing this, are you saying this from personal experience, or from things you've read elsewhere? I have no problem at all with low light, and several wedding videographers have posted in various places that they are delighted with the low light quality. Of course, once you go into Hypergain, you have noise....but that's to be expected.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Douglas,

I have no clue about it's low light abilities other than what the pros hear say. If it has better low light than my GS 400 then I am stoked to say the least. It's nice to ask a few questions and then decide what is best for me after being able to deliberate from others experiences and opinions. Spending another 5 grand on camera and accessories is a really big deal to me. Especially since I just spent 5 grand in August on the GS 400 with all accessories. This Video stuff gets real expensive really quick.
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #21
Major Player

Well, after doing a search, the GS400 has a minimum lux rating of 12 and the Z1 has a minimum lux of 2. Now, that could be because of hypergain, but I would imagine that the difference wouldn't be too much higher as Sony is famous for its low light capability. I'm too lazy to look through a PDF layout and pinpoint the exact lux rating, but on behalf of my experience, I believe you will be safe in purchasing a Z1 instead of another GS400 as far as lighting worries go. ^_^

But like all cameras, if you are going DEEP ocean searching, then everything will be dark and require an underwater light anyway, so either would do really, if that's what you're doing.
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #22

You can use the existing XLR adaptor, if you already have one.
Otherwise, it's WELL worth the extra investment for the Z1. The blackstretch, expandable gain, and additional presets make this a wonderful offering, but...if you've already got the extra gear from another cam, you might save some $$
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #23
Major Player

I'm exited in z1's ability to (even with lesser resolution) to shoot 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps...
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Good Lord willing the Z1 will be on the Sony finance plan and I can go with it. I have the XLR from another camera and adaptable lenses and the like but if I can get it altogether in one complete package then I will go with it. I don't do deep underwater footage with it. Most of it will be for very well lit rivers, bays, and offshore waters. The GS400 had captured great colors for the Chew On This Saltwater Fishing Show so I expect more of the same, actually alot better with the HD. The GS 400 has it's own UW housing that I will use strictly for UW shots.
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #25
Rextilleon

Ah--I dont think so Ben---
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:30 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Ben,

I know you said you're not very technical but check out this comparison between the FX1 & the Z1.

It really made my mind up for me. IMO I don't know why anyone would buy a camera as good as this but without the necessary features to interface with the professional world.

The Z1 addresses those needs perfectly.

Note that the consumer version (FX1) doesn't have the hypergain feature (18db, letting you shoot under 3 lux) if that's a feature you need.

Good luck with your decision

Mark
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Sorry, I forgot to include the link
http://www.roscor.com/resources_whitepapers/Roscor_HDV_Comparison.pdf
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

Check out our side-by-side comparison here.

Though I still think Ben will be just fine with the FX1. As a friend of mine once told me, he was deciding between the Sony VX2000 and the PD-150. Sure, the 150 had a lot more, including DVCam tape support, but ultimately he chose the $1300 less VX2000, which gives the same picture. Would anyone watching at home know which model he shoots stuff on?

heath
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Yeah you guys are killing me. I was already today to get the FX-1 from Circuit City for 3700 including a 3 year warranty and service plan. Couple that with 0 percent interest for 12 months and I was sold. But I went and checked out the FX1-Z1 comparison and there are multiple differences between the two. (40) plus altogether. I know what you are both saying and it is very tough as of right now. Do you guys know of any better deal than what Circuit City is offering on the FX1? How about the Z1U? Thanks for the help.
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #30
Barry Wan Kenobi

For an FX1, definitely give Rush at EVSonline.com a shot.

For the Z1, I don't think you'll find deals like that -- the Z1 is sold through Sony's professional division, so you'll never see a Z1 in a store like Circuit City or Best Buy, those type of places only carry the consumer lineup (and the FX1 is sold by Sony's consumer division). Places like B&H and EVS and the rest of this site's sponsors can carry both lines.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition