Camera Test: we shot F900, Varicam, HVR-Z1U, XL2 & DVX100A side by side at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:05 AM   #1
HD for Indies

Camera Test: we shot F900, Varicam, HVR-Z1U, XL2 & DVX100A side by side

Hey all -

I don't have specific analysis yet, it'll be trickling in over the next few weeks, but on Monday we finally pulled off a camera test I've been meaning to do forever: we shot Sony Cinealta (F900), Panasonic Varicam, Sony HDV (HVR-Z1U), Canon XL2 and Panasonic DVX100a, all side by side, all simultaneously. We got about 30 shots - indoors, outdoors, locked off on sticks, handheld, panning on sticks, low light, wide/medium/close-ups, everything we could think of we could accomplish in a day.

I also recorded the HD-SDI output of the F900 and Varicam directly to disk - so instead of 1440x1080 8 bit compressed, I have 1920x1080 10 bit uncompressed from the F900. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to record the HDV camera's output uncompressed to disk, a necessary adaptor wasn't available in time.

I've posted a couple of links already -

http://www.hdforindies.com/2005/02/m...-today-it-went

has a general overview of the shoot

http://www.hdforindies.com/2005/03/p...d-from-mondays

has a link to pictures from the shoot and talks about what's next

Keep reading HD For Indies for further updates -

http://www.hdforindies.com

-mike
mike@hdforindies.com
Mike Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:17 AM   #2
New Boot

The link doesn't work right in Firefox -- just shows up as straight HTML. (I'm guessing your server isn't set up for MIME properly.)
Colin Wyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Looking forward to your results, Mike. Hopefully they will put an end to the constant opinionating and conjecture from people who have never used most of the camera's being tested.
Derek Serra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Wrangler

Colin,

It means he didn't include the necessary VBBS codes around the url text in his post to make it an active link. Some browsers will sniff out urls and email addresses by looking at the syntax. I'm using Firefox now also but IE won't always make those url texts an active link either.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Looking forward to some screenshots and videos.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:03 PM   #6
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston : It means he didn't include the necessary VBBS codes around the url text in his post to make it an active link. Some browsers will sniff out urls and email addresses by looking at the syntax. I'm using Firefox now also but IE won't always make those url texts an active link either. -gb- -->>>

No, what I mean is when you try and open the page, it just spits out the HTML instead of rendering it. Firefox doesn't "guess" at a page's content the same way IE does. If there's not an HTML extension on the end, and the server doesn't send the right MIME type, Firefox won't render the code.
Colin Wyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:07 PM   #7
HD for Indies

browser troubles: why.

It's an issue with Blogger templates and my server and Unicode vs. Latin character sets or something, I need to fix it, someday.

Basically, use IE or Safari, not Mozilla or FireFox.

Hey, it's a free blog, ya gets whatcha pay for.

: )

-mike
mike@hdforindies.com
Mike Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Mike...

I've linkified the url's in your first post above, plus your Blog is perma-linked from our HDV Resources page. Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Very useful indeed.
I doubt you'd be presenting most of the material for free ;), but you could at least show us the comparisons of the image quality between the cameras, without all of those deinterlacing tests and everything.
Looking forward to that, and thanks in advance!
Dmitry Kichenko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition