Upcoming solid state? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Tourist

Upcoming solid state?

I'm looking to see if anyone here has insight to what kind of solid state prosumer or professional camera offerings are coming out. I know this is chomping at the bit, but there always seems to be some info tid bits floating around. I really like the look of the HMC 150, but is Sony going to be coming out with a direct (budgetary) competitor to it. Will JVC be adding any models? Will panasonic be expanding their AVCCAM line? Will Sony stay with SXS cards or will it make smaller 1/3 chip size cams using sdhc or compactflash? I realize these questions may not have specific answers yet, but any info would be appreciated. I really do prefer getting my answers here in the forum than from someone trying to make a sale. Thanks.

Matthew Myers
Matthew Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Trustee

I haven't seen anything floating around yet. It's still over five months until the NAB, which is where you'd expect to see some announcements. I've been watching Canon because any 1/3" CCD flashcams from them would be their first.

BTW... I'd be really surprised if Sony ever supported SDHC in their cameras as they are very proprietary about their memory products. There might be some Memory Stick variants but SDHC? I wouldn't bet on it.

BTW(2)... I've stayed away from Sony products in recent years because of their proprietary architecture. I understand why they do it, but I don't like it one little bit.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Major Player

You guys are a little behind, almost all of that has recently happened.

1. Sony introduced the EX-1R (and the bigboy, different discussion)
2. Sony released budget (5-year life) SxS media
3. Sony released SxS to memory stick adapters
4. The JVC HD100
5. Panasonic HMC-40
6. etc.
7. etc.

Forward looking on formats, the AVCHD format variants are really all there is currently for the masses. The 4:2:2 formats/codecs are going to stay on Pro products because no one else needs them.

AVCHD records to SSDs, not tape. The blurb in the lastest B&H catalog (this week) seems to give HDV a very roundabout and indirect wack as secondary acquisiton technology. A few pages later the call the HMC-150 a "production level" camera. Two catalogs previous, they slightly dismissed AVCHD. Times change.

Unless some licensing agreement is an issue, Sony will at some point start producing AVCHD cameras that record to memory sticks and slowly discontinue the HDV cameras.

I hope our depressed economy dosent slow down these companies engineering departments too much, I want a HMC-150a with an updated sensor.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Considering all Sony consumer cams are basically MS Pro Duo or HDD, I can't see why they have been slow to address the midrange/prosumer part of the market.

Those of us who own an XR series know pretty well what the potential could be for something along the lines of the old TRV900 or FX7 - something compact, but with decent manual control, recording to HDD or MSPD, 1 or 3 EXMOR-R sensors. They have higher speed MS Duos too, so higher bitrates and quality SHOULD be do-able. The gap in the Sony line is obvious and as big as a barn, yet nary a rumour of what might be coming to fill in...

My hope was for an Alpha DSLRV with EXMOR-R, rumours of such a beast were rampant, and NOTHING came out despite numerous models being introduced this year... PFFFFFT!!!

I have no doubt that each of the "theoretical" cameras above (FX9 and Alpha 750 for completely made up model #'s!) would sell quite well, if they hit reasonable price ranges.

I'd love to have an EX1R, but sadly neither budget or luggability suits me... I like my current Alpha still cams (last years models actually...), but would gladly update for video capable bodies... and the XR500V is proving to be a very capable camera, if not terribly impressive looks wise, again a slightly larger and more capable upgrade would be easy to justify, even in a bad economy.

BUT, maybe Sony just can't justify the R&D? Or maybe we will see something one of these days - the quotes I've seen from Sony sources indicate the video capable Alpha has been in development, but just wasn't ready for prime time this model year... I doubt we will see anything from them before Q1 of next year...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I think Sony are stuck between a rock and hard place. They have not long ago introduced the Z5, and 270 and from my experience with the XR500 a 3 chip version might destroy the market for both these cameras at lower cost. I have a FX1 and was on the point of getting a FX1000 but would really like an upgraded XR500 for what I do.
I can't see how Sony could produce something in this middle range without loosing out big time for the HDV line. IF they don't Panasonic are going to really eat into their market with the HMC150 and HMC40. Currently Sony do not have a competitor for the HMC40 ( though I am sure the XR500 has just as good or better picture without the control or audio accessories).
Like Dave I can't justify the EX but would love an AVCHD version of the FX1000 or Z5 with big hard drive and memory stick at max data rate. A single chip version with big lens and manual control would be the next best thing.
Keep hoping and see what the new year brings. Until then I am going to say with the FX1, XR500 and SR11( both of which make the FX1 look a little dated in the best light conditions, higher resolution and better colour)

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree Sony is in a predicament. Any new prosumer tapeless product will crash the entire HDV lineup. However, they introduce new products so fast, they could replace them pretty quickly and keep some HDV product for diehards.

On the other hand look at Canon. They have nowhere to go but up. Their video product life cycle is deadly long in the current switchover to SSD market.

Another good evolutionary question is, will CCD cameras still be coming out in the future? Not too big a deal, but it's nice to have the option for a CCD camera for those who need it. Or maybe some kind of full/faster scan sensor is being developed.
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Both Panasonic and Sony have ways of dealing with the rolling shutter issue so I expect it will become standard shortly removing the main issue with CMOS. Personally it doesn't bother me and the CMOS images of the XR500 and SR11 have much more resolution and colour than the CCD in the FX1.
Of more interest to me would be to move to 1920x1080P60 to get smooth progressive motion. But I think that will be some time for the mainstream products.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition