NSFW What camera can achieve this look? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NSFW What camera can achieve this look?

[ Note from Admin: link has been deemed Not Safe for Family / Work Environment due to offensive language ]

YouTube - HD PREMIERE! The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon by Richard Gale

I'm looking for a good camera that can give a decent film look like this. Any recommendations?
Jared Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

Jared,

You could say it both ways. ANY camera will get you that 'look' or.. NO camera will get you 'that look'.

IOW, the look you are seeing is due to the high standards of production value in the creation of the final product. That means, careful lighting, shooting raw material for maximum latitude in the post production process, etc.

There is no camera out there that you can pull out of the box and start shooting material that looks like what you saw. Those are applied after the fact with good color correction.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
BTW, that was SO worth the 10 minutes of my life! I would recommend labeling this thread NSFW (not suitable for work) solely because of a couple of F-bombs in the link.
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Noted; thread edited. Thanks Shaun,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Major Player

The idea behind this movie is what makes it a good movie. It could have been made more cheaply and looked technically worse yet still a good film.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Major Player

OMG that is such a funny clip. Is there really a full length video behind in it in the making?
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Simply viewing that trailer on YouTube, there's really no way to be sure it wasn't shot with an HV20, but obviously it wasn't made by a hack!
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the clip Jared. This was shot on something decent by a crew who knew what they were doing. I do see rack focuses, shallow depth of field and very cinematic camera movement so I doubt if it was handycam. There was also considerable grading done after the fact.

Nice clip, hope that he gets a movie deal from this, he should. It is too long but pretty clever and very funny. Reminds me of a modern bit of Python.

Definitely wasn't the camera or look, it was the concept and execution that made this good.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition