Anybody know what they shoot CSI NY with? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Anybody know what they shoot CSI NY with?

Hello,

I am really trying to find a place for 24p in my shooting so I am taking a lot of notice of TV shows, motion and jitter/stobing.

This show CSI NY seems to be shot on film. The images are gorgeous, but when they pan (and often pretty quickly without subject motion) I don't see much slow framerate jitter or strobing.

Do the networks have an upper level way of putting 24p on a 60Hz broadcast that reduces the motion jitter?

Or do they shoot this type of show at a higher framerate?

All I know is that when I have tested 24p for my uses, camera movement or panning looks horrible unless it is very slow. Just wondering if they have some tricks up their sleeves.

Thanks for your input.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

According to this article, CSI NY is shot digitally (though the source does not specify the camera or frame rate used).
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for that great article.

Knowing that the show is shot digitally makes me want to know how they have the cameras setup and if those settings can be transferred/used effectively in a sub-$20,000 camera rig for the same effect.
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #4
New Boot

Sony F35 I believe ...
Chris Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Here is an article about achieving the look of CSI Miami.

The home/computer playback environment seems to have a lot to do with the amount of judder/strobing that is observed when viewing one's own video.

Depending on the setup, there are different methods of pulldown for display, difference hertz rates make things look different, etc. etc. etc.

Also, the nature of the subject and the colors seem to contribute to the appearance of judder on broadcast shows. A fast pan may appear not to have a lot of judder because of the nature of the shapes and the saturation of the colors. Even in movie theaters, I have seen a lot of judder on slow pans when the subect has a lot of angles and lines and there is a lot of light-dark contrast.

Soft edges, large blocks of saturated color, wind swept swaying objects seem to reveal little or no judder on pans... which is even less pronounced if the camera follows an object that commands attention.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The reason I mention this is I was watching an episode a week or two ago that had some camera movement that interlaced would have been needed and it looked fine.

Quick pans on the street without judder.

It just looks like more than the usual cinema devices to hide jutter.
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Major Player

When i was young and in school, my cinematography teacher used to let me tag around on shoots: music videos, commercials, some Canadian crewed Indian movies etc. He was a CSC member, old but full of knowledge. This post jogged my memory about something he once told me (to paraphrase),

“Your shutter angle is like a speed limit to how fast you can pan. If you don’t know how fast you can go, look at the signs (he pointed to my ASC manual)”

I’m trying to find my ASC manual, but it does have a section on shutter angle, frame rate and pan/track speed.

If you’re lucky maybe Charles Papert is bored and thumbing through dvinfo today:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition