Use Blackmagic Design DeckLink SDI PCI Express Capture Card to capture 3 inputs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Use Blackmagic Design DeckLink SDI PCI Express Capture Card to capture 3 inputs?

Hello Community!

I'm not sure where to post this but this thread is close enough.

Question is, does anyone know if I can use a Blackmagic Design DeckLink SDI PCI Express Capture Card to capture 3 inputs at the same time? I'm asking because we are doing a live concert at my church with multiple cameras and a video mixer over coax lines. On top of that... output live to multiple screens and projectors. The cameras will be HD but the video mixer won't be. Soooo.... I was thinking about using Avtakes' CutFour SD software with a capture card with at least 3 inputs to salvage whatever quality I can get and mix from the computer.

My last year set-up was camera, to coax cables, to video mixer, and split the outputs to live projection and a DVD Recorder.... yes... DVD RECORDER. We lost a few moments because the DVD had to burn and finalize before I can pop in a new one... not to mention the quality that came out...

If anyone got any experiences with this... please HELP! Much appreciated. Oh yea.... budget is $1000 this year..... I'm asking for more.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nguyen View Post
We lost a few moments because the DVD had to burn and finalize before I can pop in a new one...
Slightly off topic but all DVD Recorders I've used will allow you to remove the unfinalized disc and reinsert and finalize later AS LONG AS you use the same recorder (or possibly just the same brand and/or model).
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yup. Absolutely correct! Thanks for the tip Shaun. We were afraid of doing that though. It was already a high risk of corruption recording the whole thing on DVD. We decided last year to let it finalize to minimize any errors.
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Update on what I did. I rented the Newtek Tricaster Broadcast system. It was EXACTLY what I needed. Ran smoooth like butter. Thanks for reading.
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

FYI, that is what TWiT.TV uses.

Be aware that it's software driving the video hardware, and that software could crash and the whole show can tank just like that. Make sure you don't go over the top in effects, DDR playback, etc. and just use the Tricaster to switch and not to record or playback.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition