High speed HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

High speed HD?

I'm looking for a camera or camcorder that can provide high speed video in HD.

I have used Casio's, which can record at 120 fps (which is fast enough), but the video quality is not very good.

There are specialty video cameras that can do high speed HD, but they cost over $100,000.

I thought that a compromise might be a camcorder or camera that can record 60p in HD. Could this be edited at 30 fps to reduce apparent speed by half?

Or, are there any prosumer HD camcorders or cameras that can record 120 fps.

I also need to be able to set the shutter to 1/1000th of a second.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Any camera that can shoot 720/60P can then be put into a 30P timeline and give half speed slow motion. So for instance Panasonic Varicam, the JVC camcorders, even the Canon 7D.

There are camcorder that do 120fps and more but they always reduce the reoslution and have a very limited record time. There is a reason why proper slow motion cameras cost $100,000!

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Shooting 702p60 and editing it at 30p to give you half speed should work fairly well for you, I use this myself (except with 50 and 25 fps) for slow-motion replays of goals scored by the football (soccer) team I film. It would be nice to have a camera that shot at 120fps, but until the Red Scarlet comes out and I can upgrade to that, I'm "stuck" with double speed filming... ;-)
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
A bit of a clarification: just dropping 60P footage into a 30P timeline doesn't NECESSARILY slow your media down. For example, in Final Cut Pro, 60P footage in a 30P timeline plays regular speed. If you change the speed using the Speed tool, it doubles frames (unless you enable frame blending which then BLENDS frames but doesn't use all the 60P media frames).

BUT, if you use Cinema Tools to remap the 60P footage to 30P and place that in a 30P timeline, it uses each frame for apparent slow motion.

Depending on your editing tool, you may need to do some tomfoolery to get the exact effect (using ALL the frames) you are looking for.
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

This is why people rent. You can rent a Phantom that can shoot 1080P at 500 fps for around $2,000 per day.
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I regularly shoot 60FPS with my Panasonic HPX 170 and HVX 200 and absolutely love the results. Silky smooth. You can check out some Horse racing I shot with the 200 here: YouTube - TheUltimateHD's Channel
and some Baja I shot with the 170 here:
YouTube - Best of Baja Racing In Mexico

Jim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition