HDV cam also moonlights nicely as a still camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 31st, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV cam also moonlights nicely as a still camera

Although not as high res as a conventional still camera, frames taken directly from HDV are still very usable for web page photos. Since you're recording 60 pictures a second, you can pick out the *perfect* composition from a moving subject. Here's an example of some shots I grabbed from video out of my cheap little HC1:

http://hdvforever.com/monks/page2.htm

(The better shots start about halfway down the page.)

To get these I imported the MPEG program stream into VirtualDub Mod, used Donald Graft's smart deinterlace filter to get to 30 fps progressive, and used the built-in Bicubic resize filter to get to a square pixel resolution of 1024x576. With my simple 2GHz laptop the filter overhead was minimal, so this allowed me to pretty quickly scan frame by frame through scenes to find the perfect shot. From there I cropped the resulting frames to my taste. It was all fairly quick to get good results.

If you are trying to get the absolute perfect frame out of a higher action sequence, you would want to deinterlace to 60fps instead of 30:

http://hdvforever.com/hdv/hdrhc1/to720p

-Lorin
Lorin Thwaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Thwaits
Here's an example of some shots I grabbed from video out of my cheap little HC1
Those stills look nice. Not sure that everyone would agree that a $2,000 camera is "cheap" though :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, I did get lucky to pick mine up in Japan two and a half weeks ago for the equivalent of $1450. But if I need repairs done under warranty then I have to send it to someone in Japan, and all the menus are in Japanese. I decided it was worth the risk to save a few bucks. I've been wanting to learn Japanese anyway!

-Lorin
Lorin Thwaits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition