DSLR vs. HD camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Nikon is rumored to be releasing an update to the D700 soon called the D800. This camera should give the Canon 5D a run for it's money.

Rumored D800 specs: Nikon D800: Updated Nikon D800 specs

Joe
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks all for your replies.

By pure coincidence, yesterday I had the chance to see things in action: A flat mate's friend wanted to shoot a music video in our flat and brought a long a guy with the full kit: A Canon 5D and 550D backup, crane, dolly steady cam, external monitor what have you, and of course a whole slew of lenses... everything except for sound recording since that would be the studio track.

Of course, I never had in mind to grow such a kit. Never the less, watching him work - with much respect it did seem like he had to use the entire kit since he'd bothered to bring it, but then what do I know - I saw that it was everything but handy. Might get great footage - if your subject is patient enough to let you hook everything up.

So, I've decided to go with a video camera rather than the DSLR route. By the time I need to upgrade my DSLR body, I can look for some option with video.

I'm waiting for the Canon XF100, nice compact, fits in the bag. I usually say that the best photo or footage you get with the camera you have - literally speaking - namely the camera you're willing to drag around. The XF100 wins hands down I think.
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #18
Major Player

There is another advantage to DSLR's or hybrids like the VG10 that hasn't yet been mentioned. With a fixed lens camera you're having to start from scratch again in a few years time. With an interchangeable lens camera, by contrast, the lenses that you've bought will hold their value. Coupled with the lesser cost of the camera bodies you can make a substantial financial saving in the long term - or just sell the lenses and switch back to a new fixed lens system if that's the way the wind is blowing by then. Plus with systems like the NEX-5 allowing professionals to dip their toes and still also afford a new fixed lens main camera the option of hybrid or dslr shooting does become more attractive, particularly when they're used as a second camera for events work to get real wow shots, or on a music video/short film where the increased amount of fiddle involved in their use is mitigated by image quality that is pretty much unmatched at their price point.

It's also worth noting that there are now a number of DSLR/hybrid systems that have both good autofocus and image stabilization when shooting video, and that there are several models out there at the moment that have no limits on record times. I'm not meaning to evangelise, I agree with the other posters that these cameras have their limitations, but used effectively they can be a very valuable tool.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:27 AM   #19
Tourist

Article about video cameras and dslrs

Hi Erik,

I know that you went with a video camera, but for anyone else trying to see the differences between video cameras and dslrs, I have an article up on EventDV Magazine that covers off the big ones.

Switching From Video Cameras to DSLRs

Cheers,

Greg
Greg Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:39 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Greg, I didn't go just yet as the camera I have in mind is not yet available. Anyway, I just read your article, it's good, it added details to what I knew and included issues I hadn't thought of. And it confirmed my choice: I think I will have more fun with an ordinary video camera.

When eventually I need a new DSLR body I will look at video as that added feature that might just be worth the extra.
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition