Lighting: 5400 vs 5600 Kelvin? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Tourist

Lighting: 5400 vs 5600 Kelvin?

This is probably nothing, but thought it wize to check. I am using 5400k LED lights for fill etc. Accenting Peoples faces with a CMI Fresnel focusing spot coming in at 5600 k. That is slightly bluer, so I plan to white balance with it and let the other lights do what they do. THey should just be a bit warmer.

I don't really think there is much difference between the two and they should work together quite well. Or, maybe I a really wrong.

What experience do you guys have?

Rick
Richard Spangenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Lighting: 5400 vs 5600 Kelvin?

Colour temperature addresses the location of the light along the Red - Blue continuum.

White balancing adjusts the Red, Green, Blue matrix.

ASSUMING that the LEDs don't have something weird happening in the green spectrum, you SHOULD be fine but the actual spectography of light may leave you with a colour cast, depending on your individual lights.

As you surmise, testing WILL give you a definitive answer.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Richard,
I've lit with slightly mismatched color temps before, and not seen a problem. I suppose in the "real world", the fill light (the sky) would be a higher color temp than the key (the sun), but that's probably nit-picking. As long as all your key lights match each other, and your fill lights match each other, you should be OK.

Another consideration might be the incomplete spectrum of LED lights. I've seen several comments in this forum about LED light not having the smooth spectrum of an incandescent. I don't know how continuous the spectrum is with CMI lights, but you might want to do a test with a subject having several different colors. See if the LEDs leave a color dark, while the CMIs show it as bright (or vice versa). I suppose a spectrum continuity mismatch could lead to a weird effect on the subject.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Major Player

White Balance to the 5.6K light then add the 5.4K and all will be fine. Experienced shooters can usually see a difference in color temp of about 400K but it's really hard to see a 200K difference.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition