tilt mount for monopod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 1st, 2012, 02:33 AM   #1
Major Player

tilt mount for monopod

is there some type of plate i can mount on my 1/4inch threaded male that usually attaches to the bottom of my plate on my camera that will allow me to tilt as i can on a normal tripod. i want to be able to bring my monopod down to the shortest length, about 2ft and brace it against my waist, only way to do that on that angle is to be able to have some sort of tilt piece that goes on the monopod and that piece has a 1/4in male that then goes into my camera base. hope im being clear. someone has to have this out there
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: tilt mount for monopod

From my understanding of your post, it seems that you need something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687361-REG/Oben_BD_0_BD_0_TABLE_TOP_BALL.html
This is about the smallest I can find so if your camera configuration is heavier than 6.6lb, (3Kg) then there are plenty larger ones. Simply screw the haed onto the monopod 1/4 inch stud and them mount the camera on the 1/4 inch stud at the top. To use, adjust the ball tilt angle and lock.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

the problem with ball heads is left/right tilt. On a monopod, it gets unwieldy with so many axis of movement
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes there is a one axis head for a monopod. I bought one last year (Amazon or B&H, can't recall). Small and light.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743950-REG/Benro_DJ80_DJ_80_Monopod_Tilthead.html
Exactly what you're looking for.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Jim...if you're into a DIY project, I modified a Manfrotto Mdl. 3232 (now p/n 234) Tilt Head and Really Right Stuff 2P Clamp for use on my Gitzo G1564 Mk. II. I successfully used this rig many years ago for 'stills' photography.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554096-REG/Manfrotto_234_234_Swivel_Tilt_Monopod.html
Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Major Player

That's funny, I have the 234RC which has the quick release plate.
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Jim...at the time, my goal was to consolidate all of my support equipment with one mounting method, i.e., Arca-Swiss. 20-years ago, all other mounting solutions were considered inferior to the Arca-Swiss. It was the 'defacto standard' for stills work.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Manfrotto 234 as mentioned above, and the Manfrotto 361 shoulder brace.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_361_361_Shoulder_Brace_for.html
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Major Player

Oh yeah, Arca Swiss setup would be convenient esp. if you switch off with a tripod. These aren't as light as I was thinking @ 9.5 oz. but compared to my other heads pretty light.
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Jim Stamos - I was looking for the same thing for the same reason, and ended up buying a short tripod from Best Buy for about $ 50. The center post was removable from the tripod and had a nice ball mount on the top. The total height was about 16" - I'll give you the brand and more info when I get home later today. I believe that it was spec'ed to handle a 5 lb camera.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #12
Major Player

thanks for the replies. i ended up getting the manfrotto 494. built very solid and works perfiectly. my other issue is that my monopod closes down to about 2ft. i have a smaller monopod that compacts to a smaller length. when i put the base against my waist it steadie camera well but would like to find some sore of rubber piece to attach to the bottom of the monopod that will rest against my waist more comfortably than the round base of the monopod. ideallyh would be something that has a female attachment that the monopod fits into and then this rubber will have a slight curve to it so when the monopod base is pushed into this, this piece is perpendicular to the monopod, kinda forming a T. . i may have to make something. some have said to use a tool belt that has a leather hole for it, but shooting at weddings with that would be ridiculous. has to be somthing out there
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Jim,

Some small monopods come with a small 'U' shaped clip that fits over a belt. This is usually OK for short shooting periods.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition