Deciding on new camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Deciding on new camera

Thanks very much for all the help in deciding. Right now after a few tests I have decided on a pair of used Sony HDR-CX550v cameras. I wasn't really prepared to go back to something that small, but the price was very reasonable and the manual controls were adequate enough for me. I tried a few Canon's and was not impressed with the interface although the manual controls were nice as well.

Coming from my PD-170's I have lost a lot of manual control, but the quality is much better for the videos I am doing, which are all online videos for websites and for youtube. I would like something like an NX5U but will probably have to wait until I can justify it.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM   #17
Major Player

It's probably too late to add to this, but after the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera was announced, for the money, I think it's the best thing going.

I realize it's slightly smaller than a super-16 sensor, but with 13 stops of dynamic range, and recording to SD-XC in pro-res format, the quality is thus far, superior from what I have seen to many of the $3K cameras out there... or at least on par, at 1080p resolution. With the supposed 10-bit raw recording (still can't wait to see what SD-XC card is "approved" to handle the recording speed necessary for raw recording..but I am guessing a 600x one that costs like $200 for a 64GB and stores about 10 mins of video! ;), I think the smaller sensor size (thus the inflated crop size) may be justified. It will remain to be seen, but having a cinematic quality camera with outstanding recording formats for under $1000 has me drooling. I truly hope it holds up to the current crop of video displayed so far.. not sure about night time low-light..but I would hope with a cood F1.2 or so lens it can bring in pretty good low-light as well.

For the money, if I had 4K, I'd really consider the BM4K!
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Max frame rate is 30P so if you want smooth motion it will not work for you and you have to add in the cost of good lenses, no image stabilization etc etc. To me the Black Magic Pocket camera is an Indie film camera only.

I think Mark made a good choice. The little Sony's work very well. I have a SR11, XR500, CX700, NX30 to go with my NX5U. The SR11 is showing its age and I got the NX30 as its replacement really but if I exclude the SR11 its the NX5U that has the problem in quality matching the small Sony's !!! Noise levels are much lower in the small Sony's than the NX5U and this difference places the NX5U in a difficult position when things get really dark on stage ( I shoot theatre most of the time) I often fall back to the XR500 or CX700 when editing as the image is cleaner or I have to apply the Neat filter to clean up the NX5U clips if I had to use gain too much and really need the shot that the NX5U took. Getting used to controlling the little Sony's by using spot focus and AE shift etc thus leaving the control with the camera gets really good results. I use the XR500 and CX700 as fixed unattended cameras and set focus with spot focus and exposure with AE shift. They rarely make a mistake which is more than I can say about my full manual control on the NX5U !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:21 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I'm with you Ron, my NX5 has been somewhat of a disappointment after my Z1 and alongside the diminutive Panasonic SD 900. Don't get me wrong, the NX5 can at times give outstanding results but it means using profiles that soak a stop, and we're already making resolution sacrifices by using 960 rather than 1920 chips.

I just hoped the NX5 would perform better than it does, and especially in low light. It was an expensive camera but somehow the pictures don't mach the spec sheet.

tom
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:27 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
the quality is thus far, superior from what I have seen to many of the $3K cameras out there... or at least on par, at 1080p resolution.
Do you have a link to that footage? I have not seen any bmc pocket camera footage out there.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #21
Major Player

This is one that I saw.. there was another too, but can't find it right now.

Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Inner Circle

That one I saw as well since it was posted not a day ago :)
Won't be too long before the more controlled footage will show up, allthough this handheld footage looks promising I rather see something on a tripod.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition