Sony Z1 or any other at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #1
Tourist

Sony Z1 or any other

My name is Marcel and I live in Brazil, that isn't using HDTV yet. And I think it will take a long time to get here. I'm a videomaker and make broadcast commercials. I want to buy a new camera, and I heard that this new HDVs cameras are really good. But, so how I use just SD (4:3), I think I won't need to use the HDV option so soon. My question is if it worth to buy a Sony HDV Z1 (U$ 4.500) or buy another camera DVCam like DSR 250 (U$ 5.000).
Other question is if with this camera (sony Z1), I'll be able to have a good chromakey using firewire, or do I really need to get a capture card?!
Thanks for everything.
Marcel Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There are quite a few other threads mentioning this topic...some that I started. Check out:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49944
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49806
(Plus more if you do a search for them)

If you don't go for the Z1, then your other sony option would probably be a PD170, basicly the same, but it's SD 4:3 native. This is what I got personally, and even though I'm in America, this is what I needed for my projects. Supposedly the Z1 (or FX1) downcovert their HDV to SD and get great footage, (some claim better than plain SD). But if you are only going to be using 4:3 and not widescreen, (and no HD), then there really isn't a lot of advantages to the Z1 except for more refined manual controls. The PD gulps a lot more light in with it's bigger pixels, so also supposidly it is better in low light (I don't know if that is an issue for you.) There are many advantages and disadvantages to both. Check out all the resources you can before making your decision!
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh, I forgot to mention that the DSR 250 is the sholder cam version of the PD170....with actually a little bit more out dated parts. (The PD170 is the upgrade from the 150, but the 250 never got upgraded).
Old September 20th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks Matt,
I think that the Sony Z1 is gonna be the best choice. I've been researching in some forums, article, and I've heard nice things about Z1.
Now I have to know more about downconvert, what is the best capture card, things like that.
If someone knows about this things, I'll appreciate!
Marcel Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Major Player

I just ordered the Sony H1. For everything but the lowest light shots, the two should be very similar. The H1 is smaller and for me that is good. I also like that I'm going to be able to snap hi res photos in 4:3 while I'm shooting 16:9 SD.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition