Corrupt File Recovery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 25th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Corrupt File Recovery

Hey Folks,

I recently had the worst of luck with a bunch of video footage I had shot. I had about 500 GB's of video and photography from a 5 month trip to Baja California on two drives, one being a backup of the other. One of the drives failed and before I could replace it and do a backup, drive #2 failed as well. I had the drive repaired and recently got it back. Most of the files are fine but some of them are corrupt or damaged. Premiere doesn't recognize the file types. I'm wondering if there is software out there that might be able to either fix these issues or, at the very least, extra some or all of the video. The file types are MTS from a Canon HFS200 and MP4 from a GoPro. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I've searched the web and tried a few programs but to no avail.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Corrupt File Recovery

SpinRite

$89 download and burn a boot CD

grc.com

The only recovery software to use on failed/failing hard disk drives.

It may take a while, so give it time. The longest known time to recover a hard drive is three months. Personally, I had one that ran for 23 day. It recovered the files.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #3
New Boot

Hello Scott,

You could try to diagnose your files using Treasured from aeroquartet.com. Diagnose is absolutely free and repair service is based on a try-before-you-buy schema. So nothing to loose testing it. Best of luck!

--Javier
Javier Boronat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you Javier. That's what I was looking for.

Thanks as well Ed but the data has already been taken from the damaged disk and placed on a new drive it's just that some of the files are corrupt. I'm sure most of the data is still in there somewhere. :)
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I looked into Treasured and, being a PC user, was redirected to mp4repair.org. It's an online/subscription service where you upload your files via a web browser. The site was able to repair my file and it gave me a preview of what the fix would look like but it's an online service and that doesn't work for me. I have many GB's of data to repair and would rather a program that I can download and use locally with batch files. There must be something out there that can handle this. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition