Camera for live sport - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 17th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Camera for live sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
One of my concerns with a lot of these is if I'm taking 2-3 with me every shoot, and using contract camera operators locally, transport is going to be an issue. Initially I thought if I could get a set of BMCCs, they'd be much easier to put in a case and take with me on aircraft. Not sure if there's an easy way to transport three big shoulder mount cameras.
I hear what you said earlier about dates, but I can't help thinking that the ideal camera given your requirements sounds like the PMW300. It's a big step above the three Tim mentions above in terms of viewfinder, handheld ergonomics, and it gives an option of interchangeable lenses - yet as far as transportation goes it's more in their league than such as the PMW320/350.

I don't suppose you could make do for a month or two with hired/borrowed/stolen/begged cameras until the PMW300 is available, could you Ryan?

Alternatively, what about second hand EX3s?

If that's just not an option, of Tim's list of three I'd put the PMW200 first (because of 1/2" chips), the XF305 second, and would be doubtful of the AC-160 because of the codec and it not having a true manual lens. Manual focussing is via servo on the AC160 which is nowhere near as precise as with a real manual lens.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #17
Trustee

The thing about the "true manual lens," is that in the case of the PMW200/300/320/350, as long as you are talking about the kit lens, they are only true manual in the sense of the zoom. The focus is still rear element, which is electronic servo even if the ring is enabling the hard stops. The behavior and repeatablility of it is nevertheless for all intents and purposes, true manual when the ring is moved to put the hard stops in place.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

You might be right David, they do look like beautiful cameras. If the project doesn't come off for this year, I'll have time to wait till next year when the PMW300 comes out with the longer lens, which would be good.

For this year, I really doubt that by the time they're released they'll get all the way to Australia in time to be useful, but I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

I thought the Fujinon kit lens with the PMW300 and up were true manual Tom?
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
The thing about the "true manual lens," is that in the case of the PMW200/300/320/350, as long as you are talking about the kit lens, they are only true manual in the sense of the zoom. The focus is still rear element, which is electronic servo even if the ring is enabling the hard stops. The behavior and repeatablility of it is nevertheless for all intents and purposes, true manual when the ring is moved to put the hard stops in place.
I've had to get my camera out and check - you may be right, but if so it's almost impossible for me to tell the difference from an operators point of view, it's worlds apart from the sort of servo focus coupling you get on cheaper cameras. (It's the Fujinon 16x5.8)

Pull the focus ring forward and it goes into auto mode. Pull it back and it engages with a ring with end stops and distance marks and operationally seems as precise as I'd expect from true manual. Hard stops and none of the slight operational lag and overshoot that I associate with servo operation. Iris also seems to be directly coupled - no hint of any lag.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Traveling with cameras is both hard and costly and I do it all the time. It sucks.

You can get custom made Benson Boxes for most of your equipment cameras etc. The protection level is really high and. I not only use them but I see them at shows everywhere. AV companies are shipping hue monitors with them now.

I use them for my teleprompter, and another for a bank of laptops.

Just google benson box and get anything custom made.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition