Ingest via HDMI if firewire not available? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Ingest via HDMI if firewire not available?

Was looking into new computer and of course have trouble finding one with Firewire. I shoot on Sony HDV tape and wondered if HDMI is another option for capturing from camera to computer. I see just about all computers now have HDMI so that would certainly open the door to many options. I shoot with a pair of FX1000's but then capture/ingest with a small Canon HD camcorder. All been working fine, just would like to upgrade computer to more ram and bigger hard drive.

Thanx all
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Ingest via HDMI if firewire not available?

On my laptop, anyway, the HDMI is output only and my software (Premiere Pro) doesn't support HDMI input even if it did. YMMV.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Carroll View Post
Was looking into new computer and of course have trouble finding one with Firewire. I shoot on Sony HDV tape and wondered if HDMI is another option for capturing from camera to computer. I see just about all computers now have HDMI so that would certainly open the door to many options. I shoot with a pair of FX1000's but then capture/ingest with a small Canon HD camcorder. All been working fine, just would like to upgrade computer to more ram and bigger hard drive.

Thanx all
You'll need to get a HDMI capture device. BlackMagic makes one that will capture HDMI via USB3.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As long as your system isn't Windows 8, you can still get PCI-E Firewire cards.

If it's a Laptop, if you still have Expresscard and you're not on Windows 8, you can still buy Expresscard Firewire cards as well.

The reason why you need to avoid Windows 8 is because Firewire support ends in Windows 8.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition