Sony HXR-MC2000 or Panasonic AG-AC8 or JVC GY-HM70 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 13th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony HXR-MC2000 or Panasonic AG-AC8 or JVC GY-HM70

Sorry guys the PAL version of the AC-8 is called the MDH2 in PAL land !!

Forgot about that!! The AC90, 130 and 160 kept their model numbers but for some reason they changed the AC-8 .... The PAL AC-7 camera was called the MDH1 and I remember my good ole AVC20 cameras were called MD10000's here.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #17
Major Player

I think I may get the AC90 as I'm not convinced that the AC8 will be usuable in any sort of lower lighting conditions.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #18
Tourist

I own two of the AG-AC8's. They are great all around cameras, I use them for Conventions, Corporate, and Weddings. Great picture quality, up to 28meg per sec at 60p, the new sensor is good in low light, better then our 3 Chip HMC-80. 3 chip is not really a concern anymore, there are lots of pro cams out there that are single chip with great quality picture.

The main thing for me is not what the Techno Geeks say, it's what my customers say, and they love the quality of their end product, and the Pro look on the job.

You can see my review on B&H Photo at
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...costumerReview
along with a picture comparing the two cameras.
Kurt Howland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Kurt

Sadly we tend to become obsessed with the highest specs and the ability to be able to shoot at the best possible bitrate and quality. All that really matters is that the client loves it! I think we tend to "pixel peep" and worry about stupid things that most people don't really see! With weddings, does the brides carefully examine the footage to see if any noise is there or if the resolution is up to par? Of course not! She is more interested in whether her and her wedding party look stunning and pretty. As long as you have sharp focus and the pink bridesmaid's dresses are not orange then she will be overjoyed!

I have a mate here with the PAL version of the AC-8 and he is happy with it. If the camera struggles in low light then simply add a light!! Shucks with my big Sony's when all the lights are turned down when the dancing starts I also have to add a light so that's no big deal!

The only thing the AC-8 doesn't have is XLR audio channels and a simple splitter plugged in (or if you REALLY need XLR's a BeachTek box is all you need.

I would actually in the price range still choose the AC-8 over the AC-90 simply cos for events you will get better stability with a shoulder mount camera and at events often a tripod is impractical!!

Good choice for a budget camera !! I did many many weddings on my old DVC-20's with only SD recording to tape and tiny 1/6" chips and never had a bridal complaint!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Major Player

Kurt, how's the manual controls of the AG-AC8? The fact it as only one ring that cotnrols focus, iris and zoom worries me slightly.

Do you have any low light examples?

Also, the AC90 offers numerous shooting styles (not sure what there actually called picture profiles?) with one that's quite flat, is there these on the AC8? Only ask as I'm planning to shoot mutli-cam with a DSLR as a wider static shot so would need something that I could grade to match.

I know that I could add light, but for the odd occasion it's not possible, so I can of need something that can handle both. My main worry about the AC8, it looked like it adds alot of motion blur in low light. Is there a Gain setting like 0DB, 3DB etc or is it all automatic?

I've been tempted to get a Ac8 and AC90 (one of each) to be able to compare the two and then get a second of the camera I prefer at a later date, but can't make up my mind if that be a waste of money.

Last edited by Matt Thomas; January 26th, 2014 at 06:42 AM.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #21
Major Player

I have had the JVC GY-HM70. Not bad in low light but not great either. I have now the panasonic HC-X920 I use for filming events (I use the 25x IA zoom) because my sony NEX-EA50 has only 11x zoom.

To use the nex-ea50 as shoulder cam you need a heavy counter weight. I have that but I prefer it was better balanced.

So I'm still interest in this one for 3rd camcorder. Any low light footage?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition