Dual XLR mean I get 2 audio tracks? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Dual XLR mean I get 2 audio tracks?

Before i state the question, let me quickly explain. My current FX1000 is setup with a beachtek XLR adapter. I only get one audio track and I assume its because of the single input to camera.

As I research cameras with built in dual XLR audio inputs, I am curious if this means my video would have 2 audio tracks.

This would be a great advantage when the groom is coughing into his lapel mic, I would no longer need to make adjustments on the fly, I could simply clean it in post.

Thanks all.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Dual XLR mean I get 2 audio tracks?

Short answer: yes, each input can be treated as its own track.

Your Beachtek should allow you to pan one input left and one input right, therefore giving you two track recording, right? I haven't used a Beachtek adapter in years, but that's how I remember doing it.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #3
Trustee

It partly depends on how you are referring to "tracks". A camera with dual XLR inputs still records one track of audio linked with the video, but it's a track with two channels of audio that can be handled either independently or together depending on how you edit them.

Your FX1000 is the same in that it has a stereo mic jack that can handle two channels of audio. However, that camera only has one audio level dial for both channels.

So it also depends on which BeachTek you are using and how you have its switches set. Most BeachTek adapters can handle two audio inputs and keep them separated. If the Stereo/Mono switch on the BeachTek is on S, then the two audio inputs are kept separated when going into the camera. If the switch is on M, then both audio inputs are mixed together and go equally to both channels of the camera. This is useful when using only one mic or if you really want both inputs mixed together. But once mixed together, the two audio channels can't be separated later during editing.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you for replies. Sounds like I am missing something when editing and will research. I had been shooting with Beachtek in M but last week shot in S with 2 mics. In my NLE, I split audio from video and only get one audio track?
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Trustee

It may also depend on how you ingested the footage into your computer. Software for capturing usually has switch settings that affect how the audio is brought in.

Which NLE are you using? Each has its own clicks for handling the audio channels within each track.

I use Sony Vegas. Right-clicking an audio region and then clicking "Channels" allows you to select your choice. You can also duplicate a track, switch one track to what was recorded on the Left Channel of your camera and switch the other one to the Right Channel. This allows adjusting each separately (volume, EQ, pan, cutting out problems, etc.) while still keeping them grouped and in-sync with the original video.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Jay, I use VideoStudio Pro X6 for editing. I was using same program from ingesting but just changed to Roxio for capturing.

I currently keep the volume off on the beachtek channel for the grooms mic, then when the vows start I crank it up.

I will check my ingesting settings, I had assumed if I used a new cam with built in XLR's, I could run 2 mics, then split audio and see 2 different audio tracks.
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Trustee

It's been a long time since I captured any tape to the computer. I think some software for capturing does allow you to capture the stereo camera recording as two separate mono tracks rather than as one stereo track.
Either way it's captured, it can be easily adjusted separately or together in most NLE software.

And you should be able to keep your audio sources separated with your current camera as long as your BeachTek is set to S for Stereo and your ingesting software doesn't mix the two audio channels.

If you get a NEW camera with XLR connectors, it won't be tape based so you'll be transferring the recording from memory rather than ingesting tape.

If you get a used tape-based camera with XLR connectors, the audio still works the same. It will be one track with two channels and it's up to your choice how you edit them.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition