Burn DVD for China? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 9th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Burn DVD for China?

Hey all, first time with this request. I filmed a funeral, completed editing and burned DVD's. It just dawned on me that there is a good chance some of these are going to China with family. Should I be doing something different for China bound DVD's? I know we are region1 and google shows China as region6, just not sure what that means to me, the disc producer.

Thank you.

BTW, burning with Corel VideoStudioPro X8
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Burn DVD for China?

"Burned" DVDs are region less (or "free") ... region is important when pressing discs.... however, the video on your burned discs must match the TV system (PAL, NTSC) of the customer in this case for China (not sure what they use...). My 2 cents. Good luck.
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

China should be a pal region but depending on their dvdplayer a ntsc dvd might play just fine, I would just deliver a HD mp4 file as well unless the client specifically would ask for a pal dvd, not sure though what results or artifacts changing ntsc to pal will have during playback?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, I think I will include an MP4 as well.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

This is weird, I had replied to this post right after it went up and don't see it, so here goes again. My understanding based on answers to countless similar posts on forums is that DVD players in Europe and Asia are multi-standard - they can play our NTSC DVDs, so you don't have to author as PAL. And like the other person said, a burned DVD-R disc should not be locked to a Region - I think default is "0" for All Regions compatibility. But yes, definitely give them an .mp4 also which should be universally playable on computers, tablets, TVs.

Thanks
Old March 10th, 2016, 12:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I just did both of these and I just burned a NTSC DVD cause I know players are multi-standard over there. I also burned a 1440x1080 (PAR 16:9) H.264 MP4 and it plays perfectly on stock Windows Media Player.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Jack,

I recommend against sending out media files using anamorphic sizes such as 1440x1080, for the simple reason that not all software players respect the pixel aspect ratio and will assume 1.0 square pixels, so your 16:9 video ends up playing as squished 4:3 in some players.

If making a Blu-ray, 1440x1080 is fine, but for stand-alone file delivery, I always export at 1920x1080 or 1280x720 (720p) using 1.0 PAR then I don't have to worry.

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition