Sony Z1 vs Canon XL H1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #16
Major Player

"The wide-angle doesn't look wide and isn't going to get Krubrick fans salivating."

I don't think so. :) I own both the VX2000 and FX1.

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/VXPD/fx1second.jpg
http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/VXPD/vx2000.jpg
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
The Z1 has what I'd term a 'useful' range of focal lengths, nothing more, The wide-angle doesn't look wide and isn't going to get Krubrick fans salivating. The telephoto reach is feeble against cams such as your VX2000 or cameras such as the really cheap GL2.

So that's the clincher. If you want dramatic, frightening wide angles and powerful safari-eating telephotos, the Canon is for you. For all other reasons the Z1 is hard to beat in my view, and the difference in price will buy lenses, tripods, filters, cases.

tom.
Owning both GL2 and VX, the Z1 at wide angle is much wider than either of them. The FX1 has the same wide angle as the Z1.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #18
Wrangler

In 35mm still camera terms, the wide end of the Z1 is 32.5mm and the VX-2000 is 49mm. 32.5 / 49 = 0.663, so you would have to add a .66x wide adaptor to the VX-2000 to get the same field of view, as Young's photos graphically indicate.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

So far in all the footage posted on this forum I am not seeing any stunning improvement of the H1 image over the Z1. I wish there was more footage posted and a thorough review and/or comparison. Based on the better lense and the possibility of better footage I am considering the H1, but at 9k, I need to see a little more!
Jeff Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #20
Major Player

Shannon has a good write up as to why he changed under the Cannon thread.

But, his reason goes back to the same issues we had with the DV cameras.
I believe Sony has gone after the 90% market. This means higher volume, and lower prices. So, in HDV, just like DV, if you want an interchangeable lens, get something else and pay more money. If you want "true" 24p, go somewhere else.

For me, I do not have the need for either of the above, and sure am not willing to spend more money when, for me, their is no improvement in quality.

So, if one had bought a Cannon DV camera, I can see why they would want the H1. But, in both cases, they cost you more money, and had a much larger footprint.

So, so far, just like in DV times, I see nothing shipping or coming that wants me to change from my Z1. But, am always looking.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Dave, yes, the more I shoot with the z1 the more I like it. Similarly I found that the pd150, despite all the hype of about the xl and dvx cameras, put out a better image, was easier to use, and transferred to film better in all of our tests (at least the PAL version.) But like you I am always looking for the very best image in a low profile and affordable camera. The more I use HDV the more I like it. Its not HDCAM but its way way better than DV.
Jeff Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Boyd, you said: ''In 35mm still camera terms, the wide end of the Z1 is 2.5mm and the VX-2000 is 49mm.''

In fact the 1/3" chips and 6 mm focal length of the VX2000 equate to 43.2 mm in 35 mm still camera terms. Your 49 mm equivalent relates to the TRV950. So you'd need a pretty mild 0.75x wide converter to match the VX with the FX.

But if we use a 0.5x wide-angle on each camera the VX looks so-so wide at 21.6 mm, whereas the FX/Z1 takes on The Shining look with its 16.2 mm focal length.

This looks wonderful to my eyes, but only as long as barrel distortion is kept at bay. And the front elements need to be kept absolutely-bloomin' spotless, because the depth of field when working at focal lengths of 2.25 mm can quite easily encompas both surfaces of the front element.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #23
Major Player

IIRC the Shining used 10mm lenses, which given the Academy gate would give a ~16mm-ish, (SLR FOV) but with 10mm embedded perspective

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Boyd, you said: ''In 35mm still camera terms, the wide end of the Z1 is 2.5mm and the VX-2000 is 49mm.''

In fact the 1/3" chips and 6 mm focal length of the VX2000 equate to 43.2 mm in 35 mm still camera terms. Your 49 mm equivalent relates to the TRV950.
Ah you are so right Tom - mea culpa! Problem is, I have the PDX-10, VX-2000 and Z1 manuals all handy here.... but they look exactly the same (Sony's plain paper "digital video camera" booklet). So as you figured, I was looking at the specs in the PDX-10 manual!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition