Why no serious professional comparisons of prosumer equipment? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
In the UK, at the moment, a PAL DVX100BE is on offer at <£2K and according to tests can record a 540x540 resolution signal on a 25 Mbps tape

How can justification be made for 100 Mbps recording on special media for a 600x600 resolution signal from a HVX200E?
I don't think they are quite that similar. More like 540x500 vs 600x650 (maybe a little higher). But still, is that enough?
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #17
Major Player

DVX has 4x3 CCD's doesn't it? So if you shoot 16x9, you letterbox and lose 25% vertical resolution; not so with Canon XL2. HVX shoots up to 60p for slow motion. Does it not have 4-channel audio? P2 cards have advantage for fast news downloads to satellite link, etc. The lens is longer and is HD and it may have better zoom and focus rings. It shoots 4:2:2 DVCPRO50 for better color. There are many advantages in the new camera.
Petr Marusek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Ash, I understand what you are saying but Barry Green and Shannon Rawls (and a couple of others) said they were going to do a big test.
Shannon has the Canon, Barry will have the HVX (and even said would try to get a Varicam and Cinealta to test along the others!), Others will have their camera...

That could conclude in a big big article here on DVinfo, with an OBJECTIVE rapport on everything: resolution, color, motion, ...
So, I for sure, am really looking forward to it.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I've always had a lot of respect for Adam Wilt, when he takes a look at a piece of gear. It would be good to get his take on it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
I've always had a lot of respect for Adam Wilt, when he takes a look at a piece of gear. It would be good to get his take on it.
I think he is in on Barry's test last I heard.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

This thread and the one that Ash Greyson started which was titled "I can make a prediction right now about what real tests will show!" have been merged together into one, at the suggestion of our forum moderators.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #22
Trustee

Makes sense Chris...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Test sugegstion

Apart from testing resolution, color rendition, lens accuracy/warping, extreme latitude and low light, we should test compression artifacts (using accurate uncompressed/lossless blowups to illustrate problems.

One thing I have noticed in motion artifact tests, is that people squint at it and say it looks fine, but if you blow up the frame you discover it is full of fine to medium blocking. So your 1440*1080 frame has 720*540 and less resolution in parts. People probably don't notice it until it gets to 360*270, but when you blow up to a really big screen everything is noticeable, even just discontenting so. So can I suggest two sorts of tests, one movement based, and the other changed based (movement retains a lot of moving previous information, compared to an change test that has lots of changing areas ion screen). One thing that has been noticed on consumer/pro-sumer camera, is changing the camera mode or shutter, has a profound effect on motion artifacts to.

To recreate them for each camera, they could be 60fps+ visually lossless footage at 10+bits put on a big screen running at high enough refresh. Maybe one of the higher end cameras could provide it in that format. Failing that, getting a loaner of the new Sony SHD projector might be able to do it by showing 4 HD feeds on one screen.

Two SHD screens:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57770
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition