HD Camera Shootout: "Let the games begin" : In this corner we have..... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #31
Regular Crew

please be sure to make Quicktime versions of everything as well... thanks.

//danny
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #32
DVX User

well initial reports are pretty good.. they seemed to have way too much too do and too little time, but from what I have heard it seems that bottom line is that they all looked pretty good when used like a camera should.

Wish I could have been there as well, in the middle of moving so couldnt make it :(
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #33
Major Player

Yes please post quicktime as well! Can't wait for the results!
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Marusek
I've seen it on a high end Sony 24p monitor, some 1000 lines either way; no difference in resolution between interlaced and progressive. The myth that the resolution is lower when switched to interlaced is total BS.
Don't forget that 1000 lines is also right near the limit of Sony's HD CRT too, probably best to examine it closer in a computer before solidifing those figures.

As Petr said, the CCDs are natively progressive so there's no static resolution difference between modes. If you're shooting a rez chart that were to be moving around progressive would be higher but that has nothing to do with the camera, just the nature of progressive vs interlace.
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #35
Major Player

This is a myth too. It all depends on a shutter spped; you can make the moving chart resolution read sharper with a interlaced camera. Subjective sharpness due to the interlaced factor is something different. The problem is that there is this myth that that an interlaced camera reads lower resolution than a progressive camera on a chart, which by the way is always measered statically. It does not measure lower. The resolution drop is subjective in nature and not something that you can measure with a resolution chart.
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
This is a myth too. It all depends on a shutter spped; you can make the moving chart resolution read sharper with a interlaced camera. Subjective sharpness due to the interlaced factor is something different. The problem is that there is this myth that that an interlaced camera reads lower resolution than a progressive camera on a chart, which by the way is always measered statically. It does not measure lower. The resolution drop is subjective in nature and not something that you can measure with a resolution chart.
Sorry, little misunderstanding Petr, I was refering to it more in the lines that if the chart was moving around in interlaced you'd have to freeze a field and not a frame in order to get a clear picture to read resolution (hence 1/2 resolution).
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I think this is a fantastic opportunity but alas I seriously doubt it will end the vociferous rivallry between make loyalists or provide definitive data.

These cameras will all be indistinguishable in actual production conditions - no-one but no-one will be able to tell wether that low budget feature was shot on a H1, HVX200, HD100 or a Z1 and that's what matters.

They are all 1/3" chip prosumer HD cameras manufactured to a price point, with similar technology. I say with all due respect to everyone get out there and make things and do not spend sleepless nights worrying wether your new HD camcorder has 25 lines more resolution on a chart than another make.
Old January 12th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Greene
Sorry, little misunderstanding Petr, I was refering to it more in the lines that if the chart was moving around in interlaced you'd have to freeze a field and not a frame in order to get a clear picture to read resolution (hence 1/2 resolution).
If the camera shutter stays open the same amount of time for the 2 fields or for the one frame, the chart resolution will be the same.
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
If the camera shutter stays open the same amount of time for the 2 fields or for the one frame, the chart resolution will be the same.
If you're shooting at 60i and have a rez chart that's moving around and froze a frame you'd end up with field showing half the chart in one place and another field with the other half of the raster in the other place wouldn't you? You'd have to freeze a field in order to make a reading which would yeild a 1/2 resolution reading.

If the shutter is open for a full 30th of a second (or if a single image is recorded onto 2 fields), what you're really doing is technically just shooting 30P and laying it to a 60i tape format, so you're actual camera is really shooting progressive, not interlaced.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #40
Major Player

January 11th had come and gone. Did you guys get results?

So what happen did the test go off as planned on January 11th? When can we hear something about the results?
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #41
RED Code Chef

Douglas: yes it did. Results are on the way. Hold on a bit longer!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #42
Major Player

Great, You guys were just so good to pull that test off.

I can't wait to hear/see the results!
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #43
Major Player

Barry Green posted some preliminary results over at DVXuser.com. The results from this whole affair should be very interesting, but it sounds like the moral of the story is going to be:

They're all good. So quit your bellyaching about specs, buy one, get out there, and make some decent high-def content.

-Steve
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

The direct link Steven refers to is http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=43409

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #45
RED Code Chef

Since the shoot is over this thread is closed.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors

Last edited by Rob Lohman; January 13th, 2006 at 07:36 PM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition