Mac G5 Hardware setup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Mac G5 Hardware setup?

Hi Everybody,

I've been looking through this forum now for a couple of months and am ready to ask the question.

What equipment should I buy for HDV filming and editing?

I currently have a G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, FCP 4.5 and have been editing wedding and corporate DV from my VX2000 for a while now. I am about to embark on filming and production for broadcast (predemonately adverts) here in the UK. I still wish to continue using my G5 so I would appreciate input based around this.

Here is a list of considerations - please let me know what you think, any potential issues, alternatives, etc.:

1. Camera - Sony HVR-Z1, JVC GYHD100, ?
2. Lights/reflectors - ?
3. Decks - ??
4. Capture card - Decklink, Blackmagic, ?
5. Raid drives - ?
6. Software - FCP 5 Studio, Natress, ?

I welcome and appreciate any advice you may have.

many thanks
Ray
Ray Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Major Player

It's your call with the camera.

You will need FCP5 to edit HDV natively.

HDV data rate is roughly the same as DV. An internal SATA dedicated drive or PCI controller and external SATA two drive enclosure also would work.

There is only one HDV deck for the Sony, and it's best I believe just to buy a small one chip Sony cam.

HDV runs over firewire. If you want to capture to DVCProHD100, try the Kona LH
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Trustee

HDV is a processor hog... get the fastest cpu you can afford... regular HDDs will work fine, no need for a crazy fibre raid.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno
HDV runs over firewire. If you want to capture to DVCProHD100, try the Kona LH
However you need a card if you want to connect a monitor to your Mac. You cannot view realtime video off the timeline over a firewire connection to your camera like you would with regular DV. The only other alternative for a second screen is FCP's Digital Cinema Desktop which lets you use a second computer monitor. Unfortunately the quality is compromised, but it's better than nothing.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM   #5
New Boot

Yes, I would like to monitor my editing with a HD monitor, but can you tell me which particular products for my system you would recommend - Kona (which version), Blackmagic, Z1, GYHD100, and what about send back out to tape for broadcast - the minimum requirement for this is DVCAM so would I send out onto the camera or should I buy a dedicated deck, and if so which one?

So many questions!!

Sorry, but I have been trying to evaluate all of these product areas over the last couple of months and wasn't getting anywhere, so then I thought it would be best if I inform you fellow cameramen, editors etc. of what I plan to do then this would help you to help me…if that…kinda…makes sense!

many thanks
Ray
Ray Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Wrangler

With the Z1/FX1 you can use the Sony deck:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...p=142&id=78440

Not too familiar with the JVC, but I think they have some sort of deck. Evidently there isn't any deck which is fully compatible with the Canon. Wish I could help with the video card question, but I just can't afford one myself at this point :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
HDV is a processor hog... get the fastest cpu you can afford... regular HDDs will work fine, no need for a crazy fibre raid.
ash =o)
If throwing money at hardware, would it be better spent on the G5 quad processor instead of dual, or the difference in price between the dual and quad on RAM for gettting best performance for editing and rendering? I'm guessing there is are a couple of performance curves, so assume some baseline RAM installation as a starting point (4 GB?)
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition