Guess the requirements of this CLIP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Trustee

I would assume film by default as well but since it was posted here I thought maybe it was known to be from digital source... besides I got called ignorant for saying it was a Varicam and not a 1CCD DV Cam!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
35mm... maybe, but with the tiny resolution we're seeing the clip at it's impossible to tell exactly. I'm pretty sure that any pro DV camera can handle something like this...
I'm judging by everything BUT resolution. Color rendition. Perceived latitude. 10+ years working in commercial (spot) film production and knowledge of when and why film is used over video.

Sure, an F900 or Varicam could have gotten the image most of the way to what the clip looked like, but when that much money is spent on everything else, HD is very rarely used.

I could also be wrong. But I'll bet lunch it was 35.
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

WOW... i love to see many thoughts and ideas going around...

Personaly I found this clip fantastic, the amount of space between the camera and the Tranny guy decives the spectator... its brilliant...

You guys are 100% right about its more a Production Value.. of course there is a great amount of mise en scene, d.o.p, lighting and so forth...

In terms of camera i have read some posts in the forums.. some say that XL2 even XL1 is a great cam to shoot cinematic clips and so on... HD i guess just gives a more sharp image... But do i really need HD for what i want to do???

I will read on lighting equipment -

What im mostly intersted in is
-24fps
-cinematic look
-wide screen 16:9
-great color (i guess, im not sure if that makes sense)

Ahh im not to sure what the significance of I (interlace) or P (Progressive) is in a camera. I've tried to search for that but was not able to find anything :<

I love when i log on and i read many posts its so awesome to have such community inwhich one can benefit from.

Thanks again,
Joey
Joey Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #19
Trustee

OK Ash, I guess I should claify. My point wasn't directed soley at you. My apologies. I was just playing the devil's advocate.
My point is that it is obvious it is a high budget spot. Massive lighting, camera motion and of couse the name brand product they were advertising were all dead give aways they used a high-end cam. My point was given the specs of the clip we viewed, 320x180? 15fps, highly compressed, that a much lesser cam (given skill, during shoot and post) could substitute very well when downsampled.
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #20
Trustee

But dont you agree that 35mm film or even a Varicam will look better at 320X240 than a 1CCD DV cam? Even forgetting everything but the range and DOF would lead one to believe it is a larger chip HD cam if not film.

Back to the original poster though... in essence you have watched the Winter Xtreme games on ESPN and asked what snowboard you need to buy in order to do the stunts you saw... Obviously, there is a WHOLE lot more to it than that...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

hahaha Ash that was a good post haha regarding the snowboard ;)

No, your absouletly right, its more of a production value and skill as oppose to " Ohh i got the equipement now i can do the same style of film " its common sense everyone needs to practice in order to better improve... From the readings i did on the site regarding the 35mm, Varicam and 1ccd - I agree with you on the 35mm is a better choice.

Today i pretty much spent close to 6 hours just reading posts on all kinds of stuff from what type of Cam would be good for the films i want to make - to what Monitor I should use...

I must say the more i log onto to this forum the more im addicted to read people's posts... This is kinda new for me and its a fantastic way to educate myself on the technical side.

And right now im reading on WideScreen 16:9

Greatly appreciate every single post
Joey :>
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #22
Major Player

She was hot. I mean, he was hot. I mean, she was...

Now I'm just confused.

That was a first rate professional production all the way and absolutely positively was not 'Basic lightning with any good cam can accomplish this'

Basic lighting ?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #23
Major Player

yeah - agree about it being wierd. Other than that, I would say this is possible using a higher end 3CCD cam, but what I'm seeing, as mentioned, looks more like film with an excellent lighting designer at work and enough of a budget to shoot in whichever building that was - I wouldn't call it "basic" lighting since it does look like an extremely expensive setup.
As to whether or not it could be done on a prosumer camera, I think it can be if the lighting is that great. But if you can afford that setup, you'll probably be shooting film anyway.
If you go to the site - radicalmedia.com, they have an impressive list of clients - it's a very well known advertising company with a big budget to do what they want.

Joey, I could probably write a book answering all the questions you ask but the fact that you show interest in the field means you've just opened a new door to yourself and learning an art like video or film will take time. I would continue reading on the different things that interest you and perhaps once you decide on a camera that you think suits you, ask questions about it in the dedicated forum for that camera or any other gear you're thinking about.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Well Done fellas!

I knew from the first time I saw the clip it was an expensive set... without a doubt.... I do not have a budge close to that ;) hahaha however im learning from all you guys who post amazing information.. so thanks for that... :)

And let's put this post to rest - I dont want to annoy more people with this post...

I just thought it was a brilliant clip and I wanted to share it with people and get some information regarding the production side....

Well done people :>

Thanks so much!
Joey :)~
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #25
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

the spot reminds me of 1980's Ridley Scotts spots but without Ridleys sense lighting, stlyle , set design ...

the spot just doesn't have the "lighting" to take it out of ordinary .. a few of the set/rooms keep it out of extra-ordinary ... overall i'd rate it as like Ridley Scott with a labotomy ... IMO the possibility was there to have it extra ordinary ( primo) BUT ........
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition