Software based CA correction possible for Cheaper HD lens ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 8th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Software based CA correction possible for Cheaper HD lens ?

Hi Guys,

I come from a photography background, and one of the software tools I find useful is DxO Technologies tool that evaluates photos, and based on optical profiles it has of camera/lens combinations, it corrects for issues like distortion and Chromatic Aberration (In my experience extremely successfully). This is particularly helpful for the cheaper lenses that have more such issues, but even my expensive canon L lens performance improves. I was wondering if we are large enough of a market for them to make something similar for video lens/camera combinations, and also if video compression makes this untenable

Technically, all it should require is lens profiling, and here is the caveat - significantly more processing power than used for photos. This could be a pre NLE step where all the video is run through the processor and adjusted.

I wouldn't mind paying $500 if it means not having to buy much more expensive lens, but approaching it in quality after processsing.

Here is a link to their software for photography -

http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/technology/distortion.php

I think it may take some time, but its definitely something I would find useful, if I go ahead purchasing the JVC HD100 w stock lens.

Thoughts?
Arjun Bhuyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Trustee

They don't seem to give much detail on using the software, you might need to email them.
Usually software such as this has a batch mode, where your video gets processed as individual frames. It would depend on how much user input per frame is needed and how long to process.
Preventative measures might be the best solution.
Learn how to shoot with the limits of a lens to avoid problems.
Some CC in most cases can minimize or remove the problem in many cases. CA is far more noticable on still shots and often invisable on motion shots. When you downsample for distro the problem becomes even less.
In most cases I think software such as this is over-kill and might only be needed if you were going through the expense of filmout or CA proved to be a problem in an extreem FX operation in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition