Sending an HD spot to my cable company at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sending an HD spot to my cable company

So I'm thinking about buying an HD VariCam - but I have some questions first -- sorry if these seem ignorant.

Correct me if I'm wrong: The Varicam films HD onto DVCPro which, to edit, I capture with my FCP uncompressed. Once done editing, I send the uncompressed video back through my HD deck onto DVCPro and give it to my local cable channel, who will broadcast it in HD. Right?

Somehow this all seems to easy. Can anyone shatter my utopian concept that this is how it all works? I always thought you had to transport HD on a D5.

One more question: anyone ever worked in Vivix or DG formats? My cable company only takes those formats and I've never heard of them. Are they HD?

Thanks!
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

DVCProHD can be ingested over Firewire with a deck like the Panasonic 1200A. This way, you can do all your editing in the 100mbit DVCProHD format. You could of course get a deck like the 1700 and bring everything in uncompressed over HD-SDI as well, if that's your preference. You'll just need a heftier machine.

In regards to submission, it'll just depend on what the cable company can take. Some folks will take HDCam or DVCproHD, some folks want D5...
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Gotcha. Thanks, Colin!

Ever heard of VIVIX or DG?
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Heard of both and my company has used both. Are you asking a question of which is better?

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just wondering what they are. I've never heard of them. Are they digital files or some sort of tape?
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stone
Just wondering what they are. I've never heard of them. Are they digital files or some sort of tape?
They're providers of digital media distribution services to advertising and broadcast industries. You send them a spot on tape and they compress and distribute the content to television markets across the U.S.

I think Vivix or Vyvix -- I can't remember which -- was recently purchased though, but don't hold me to that.

Hope this helps.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition