HDV & excess luma at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Major Player

HDV & excess luma

I currently shoot with a VX2000 & a PD170 and use FCP to edit. No matter how much I try to control it in camera - after capture I'll almost always have excess luma which I then correct in the timeline. I've read that this has a lot to do with Apple's DV codec which was originally designed with "output to Apple monitors" in mind.

My question is this... I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has experienced this same issue with HDV in FCP? Has this excess luma issue been fixed with the new HDV codecs? I'd love to hear from someone that edits HDV in FCP. Thanks.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't think it has anything to do with Apple monitors.

What a lot of cameras do is record extra information above the legal luma level ("superwhites"). This gives you at least another 0.3 stops of exposure latitude. If you want, you can have a 3-way CC preset that brings the superwhites down into the legal range.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition