Terabyte storage for HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Tourist

Terabyte storage for HD?

I would be interested to know how folks are archiving their HD files, I'm considering purchasing a terabyte storage solution but would like to seee what others are doing.

Thanks.

Charmaine
Charmaine Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Maxtor has a nice 1TB solution via Firewire 400 or USB2.0. It's retailing here in Singapore at about US$720.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Living in the United States, I find that I can almost always pick up a new hard drive for under $50 after rebates. The size of the drive has increased over the years, but the price is always under $50. In fact, I got a couple of 160GB drives for under $20 each a while back.

So I just archive projects to drives enclosed in a USB 2.0 container and put them on the shelf. Instead of buying 2.0 drives, I buy internal drives and trade them out of the USB 2.0 device.
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
Living in the United States, I find that I can almost always pick up a new hard drive for under $50 after rebates. The size of the drive has increased over the years, but the price is always under $50. In fact, I got a couple of 160GB drives for under $20 each a while back.

So I just archive projects to drives enclosed in a USB 2.0 container and put them on the shelf. Instead of buying 2.0 drives, I buy internal drives and trade them out of the USB 2.0 device.
apologies, steven, but i'm a bit tech-challenged (to say the least!). i'm really interested by your system described above...can you explain a bit more detail? what do you mean by "usb 2.0 container"? and "trade them out of the usb 2.0 device"?

also where do you find the drives? online or at standard computer store?

thanks so much for the help....

tim
Tim Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Trustee

USB or Firewire "Containers"

OK, fair question.

You see USB or Firewire drives for sale everywhere. Just Google "USB 2.0 Drive" and you will get a link to http://www.flash-memory-store.com/ (I have not done business with this site, I am just using it as an example)

Check out the 160GB drive here for example: http://www.flash-memory-store.com/desktop160gb.html - not a bad deal. US$134.95 - but remember I picked up two of that size drive for under $20 each recently. So if I buy an external container like this one for $50: http://www.adstech.com/products/USB_...p?pid=USBX-804 I can now just trade out the drives.

So if I wanted to buy 10 drives, I have saved a LOT of money by just trading out the inexpensive drives using the same drive kit over and over.

These are just examples, buy what you need and where you are are comfortable. I have found that if I edit on my large internal drive, I can keep the drive clean by copying everything over to an external drive for storage. Then I delete almost everything from the internal drive and defragment it after every project.
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I done that for people upgrading to a new computer but wanting data on their old drives. Works great and they have an archive
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

currently storing on external 1394b drives.
1 terrabyte, 3- 800gig , 3- 250gig externals ...

going to start converting the HD (10bit 1920x1080 24fps), 2k files to files using the microcosm codec for archiving ....
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition