What's next? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What's next?

Hey guys,

I hope this is the right forum for this question... I am wondering for some advice about when and what to buy... to buy now or to wait. Some background on me:

I'm 21 and I've had a Sony Handicam since 1999 that is at the end of it's life. Believe it or not, I have done years of well paying contract work on this camera... I do have an eye for cinematagraphy and am a skilled NLE editor, so while the image the camera was able to capture wasn't the best, everything has been very high quality. I have also done some independent films, the late one was 45 minutes and premiered in a local theatre downtown.

I am going to officially starting my own small side business in video/film/multimedia. Much of the work I do is with sports highlights (not stationary, above tripod views, but on the field close-ups etc.) For this, a 20x zoom lens has been very helpful. However, I plan to do other work as well in which the zoom lens is not as neccessary. Also, a main use of this camera will be for independent and short films, in which other factors are much more important.

About $5000 is what I have afford to spend as of right now IN CASH. I could use a loan to cover something extra; in the case of the HVX200 I could get that camera, but then still shoot in SD and as I save more $$ get a FS device or P2 cards.

However, I was wondering - what cameras are around the corner? Should I consider waiting a bit longer before upgrading my camera? It is not critical that I upgrade even before the end of the year - although it would be ideal to upgrade by mid August. Is there a good telephoto lens for the HVX200 that would boost the zoom range for me? How does a telephoto like this affect close-up shots (for example, if shooting football, I want to be able to get a far zoom on the field, however I also want good no-zoom close-up shots of the players on the sideline).

What I am looking for in the ideal camera is:

SD & HD w/ability for SD to record to tape (NOT hdv)
HD 720p/1080p 24p, 30p, 60p + interlaced modes
True 16:9 native CCDs
20x zoom lens with ability to have a wide-angle/anamorphic adaptor (if a telephoto works just as well this is fine)
Superb manual controls, audio, video quality, etc.
And of course... a great price!

Is the HVX200 going to be the best bet for a while, or should I hold off for a soon & upcoming camera? HD is not critical to me right now... should I just get a DVX, or should I go ahead and pickup the HVX now so that when I can afford P2/FS stuff I am "HD-ready"?

Thanks guys,

Dan
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

check back on monday afternoon to see if any new camera's pop up at NAB
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

the hd100 is good. and it has a nikon lens adaptor so you can put on some really powerful telephotos.

my issue with the hvx200 is the price of p2 recording. there also seems to be noise blocking issues that is causing a lot of anguish with some of the hvx owners.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Trustee

I’d get the HVX200 but Don Donatello is right about holding off until NAB.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Now that NAB has passed, any advice (questions found in original post)?

Thanks so much.
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #6

For the 5k you have, I'd probably get the JVC, but if you like the Panny, go for it. JVC announced a new cam at NAB, but it won't be shipping til fall, so if you need to move now, the HD100 is there, so is the Panny.
Outside if that, no new cams were announced in the sub-10K price range. Everything else is in the higher brackets.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I can wait till fall if it is worth it. What is the model of the new JVC cam? I'd like to research it a bit.

Thanks!
Daniel Cegla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition