Best Way For Transferring From Camera To Computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Best Way For Transferring From Camera To Computer

First of all I'm a newbie, and know nothing YET, so please bare with my ignorance in this field. Trust me though, talking to you guys enough, I will soon be cool !! :-) I am a fast learner.

If I have a nice Video Cam that has the option of recording (therefore outputing as well) in both SD and HD, what is the BEST way for each to get it to the computer. (quality wise).

If I could get scenerios of what to use what, when and why for EACH that would be great. I have a NICE capture card that does everything (except 4:4:4) so keep that in mind, I can pretty much do it anyway.

See I read an article where this guy said Firewire was the best because it was a straight data dump, it was NOT considered "going through a process", it was just simply a data dump. Therefore, the best quality.

Now is that true ? One thing I noticed is he compared it to SDI, Componet, Composite, and S-Video. NOW, composite and S-Video and Componet I can see, maybe even SDI, but I noticed he didn't have HD-SDI on there, so I was wondering if the article was just old, before HD-SDI was available, and maybe Firewire was the best way back then. Also, WHAT is HD-SDI ? And what is the difference in what it offers vs SDI ? Etc.. I am just thinking it is better and for HD because of the "HD" letters in it - LOL, is that true ?

My issue is this. I have a very nice capture card that does all, I plan on (after Nab announcements) getting a nice camera that I am sure will have the capabilities of recording HD and SD and going out HD-SDI, SDI, Firewire, Componet, Compostie, S-Video, etc.... so WHICH would I use, and when for each ? Don't tell me I bought a nice capture card to only find out firewire is still the best way !! I had firewire all along !! - ha ha.

So ,

#1- If I recorded in HD, and have the option of getting to my computer via Firewire, HD-SDI, or Componet, WHICH would be the best way for quality ?

#2- Same but with SD.

OR, whats up with these cameras that offer a hard drive(s) like thing that connects to the camera, THEN after recording you plug the hard drive(s) into your computer and do NOT transfer, but can literally start editing, etc.. from the original drive the movie was recorded on. Is that the BEST ?? Seems like it would be to me.

Thanks for alll input.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Dech
Don't tell me I bought a nice capture card to only find out firewire is still the best way !! I had firewire all along !! - ha ha.
Well, if I don’t tell you then I can’t answer your question honestly. ;-)

Firewire is a direct data transfer. Bit for bit like copying a file from one hard drive to another. (technically, you are copying the file from the tape onto your hard drive) This is exactly what is on your camera with absolutely no loss at all. So, it sounds like you may have bought a capture card for nothing.

Capture is the process of transcoding from one format to another which is usually lossy during the conversion. What capture card do you have and who told you that you needed one for HD?

Without knowing the brand/make/model of the camera and capture card, it is very difficult to give you any more specific advice. HD-SLI is an uncompressed link but is probably overkill for what you want to do. BTW, what is it you want to do?

~jr
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano
Without knowing the brand/make/model of the camera and capture card, it is very difficult to give you any more specific advice. HD-SLI is an uncompressed link but is probably overkill for what you want to do. BTW, what is it you want to do?

~jr
Thanks John for your kind and helpful reply.

Lets see ---
#1- I have a Kona LH
#2- It was my decision on my own to get the card. (figured I needed it for various reasons)
#3- What I do, what I PLAN on doing, and my goals, directions and equipment list/ideas are on this thread HERE.

As to not type it all again, you can learn alot about my goals there.

Thanks for the info though, I was just double checking. Seems that guy was right. I can't believe its so simple. Audio sure ain't like that. Video always seemed more complex than audio, never figured in ONE instance it was more simply straight forward.

Its actually GOOD and bad news really. The card I guess I need for maybe just being "real compatable" with the world. If someone comes in with a old camera or anything that uses one of its several inputs, then I will be prepared. I will just look at it that way.

Thanks again John.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition