Super 16 lens on Varicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Super 16 lens on Varicam

Hi all I have a question regarding the Varicam. I own a bunch of Super 16 lenses for my SR3 and was wondering if they will work on the Varicam. The lenses are in PL mount. My main concern is if the lenses will retain their original length. ie will my 4mm Optex still be as wide on the Varicam?
Thanks in advance

Mike McEntire
Mack Dawg Productions
Mike McEntire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"main concern is if the lenses will retain their original length"

a 20mm lens is ALWAYS a 20mm lens =doesn't matter the format it's always 20mm ..however the field of view will change when used on different formats = so your 20mm is wide on 35mm but telephoto on a super8 ( or 1/3" ccd) ... Super 16 is slightly larger format then 2/3 " sensor so the lens will be a little tighter on 2/3" .. you can look up the difference in the Americam Cinematographer manual for the field of view of S16 vs. 2/3 "
what you may need to be more concerned about is that cine lens are NOT designed to have optical block ( prism) behind the lens .. they are designed to focus on a flat plane ...

you can read the a debate ( which includes cooke, zeiss, panavision all contributing ) on the subject ( cine lens on 2/3" HD camera) at ..

http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%...%20cameras.htm
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition