Which camera being used for Soccer World Cup in Germany? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 18th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
I take it you're referring to this shot: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/...aid=189149&d=1

Notice his feet are sitting on the ground, he's just kicking himself around. The hands are too busy zooming and focusing to bother with yet another control.

One unusual thing I noticed is all these european camera operators have their lens controls backwards. All the camera ops I know control zoom with the right hand and focus with the left. I'm curious as to how the europeans came to do it their way, especially since on older lenses with crank-operated zoom (that's right, no servo zoom, just a big crank. You'd be suprised at how many trucks still don't have servo zooms, and a lot of operators prefer it that way!) the cables for the zoom and focus enter the lens in a way that you would need to awkwardly cross the cables over each other to do it the "european" way.

It also doesn't make sense because if you're running handheld you're pretty much are forced to zoom with your right hand and focus with your left, so if you switch between handheld and hard cameras a lot I can't imagine it would be very easy to adapt.

hello stephan, there was a close up shot during this morning soccer game, and the camera operator did moved the camera+seat motorized, and not with his feet.
which brings me back to my org question, how do they operate this, by hand/ foot?

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #17
Major Player

It would have to be his feet, having to take a hand off of zoom or focus to move the chair around would be unacceptable.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #18
Major Player

i am actually suprised we're not having a camera operator here who would know.....wow

greetings
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #19
Major Player

The camera operators who would know are probably too busy shooting the World Cup to come and post here. =D

All I know is I've been shooting professional sports for quite a while now and I've never seen one of those.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:39 AM   #20
Major Player

All the turrets that i've seen in use when working at rugby games here in NZ are controlled by the operators feet... so im guessing those would be the same. The operators need full control over where their glass is pointing so having something that was mechanical and could break down would be far to unreliable i'd say.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #21
Major Player

just found this picture.

http://img.stern.de/_content/56/55/5...li_ddp_500.jpg

http://www.stern.de/wirtschaft/unter...es/565547.html

did email espn, several times, but they do not answer.

greetings
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #22
Major Player

here is an other one

http://www.morgenpost.de/images/2006...63_scaleUp.jpg

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition