Torn between SR1 and HV10... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Torn between SR1 and HV10...

The SR1 has a mere 1434K effective pixels during AVCHD recording but features a hard drive with a ton of features...

The HV10 has a stunning 2070k effective pixels during HDV recording but I hate dropouts.

I'm torn between these two right now, which one should I go for? Quality with the sacrifice of dropouts or Reliability with not as great quality?

I'll be losing a lot of sleep over this so answer fast.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Where have you heard about these drop outs ??

Personally I would go for quality everytime.

I am torn between the HC1 and the HV10.

Does anyone know how they stack up against each other quality wise ???

Cheers for any help.

Lee
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The HC1/A1U has a close 1983K effective pixels during HDV recording

The HV10 has a stunning 2070k effective pixels during HDV recording

Last edited by Jack Zhang; September 4th, 2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
The HV10 has a stunning 2070k effective pixels during HDV recording but I hate dropouts

What do you mean by "but I hate dropouts" when you talk about the HV10 ???

Thanks

lee
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

^HDV is prone to dropouts which are half-second errors in the video. Lower quality tapes are very prone to dropouts and I don't want to lose a single shot because of a single dropout. I also can't afford to buy a couple of HDV tapes that are less prone to dropouts.

I'm going with the SR1, it's not that high quality but it's a good start with tons of convience.
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
^HDV is prone to dropouts which are half-second errors in the video. Lower quality tapes are very prone to dropouts and I don't want to lose a single shot because of a single dropout. I also can't afford to buy a couple of HDV tapes that are less prone to dropouts.

I'm going with the SR1, it's not that high quality but it's a good start with tons of convience.

Thanks I see now !

I am planning to get a HV10 and plumb it into my Apple powerbook and record straight to the hard drive through iMovie - bypassing the tape, I did this with an FX1 and it worked great, it saved me from having to digitise the footage later.

I supose this will avoid tape drop out also.

All the footage I have hunted down in the last two or three weeks shows the HV10 to be superior to not only the SR1 but even the FX1 !! (see here >>> http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...641#post537641 )

Although I also own the JVC GZ MC500 hard drive camcorder and it is great to just be able to plumb your camera and drag off the clips you need - but for me quality is the bottom line so I am perpared to give up this luxury - although using my powerbook method will go some way to emulating this set up.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition