I'm not convinced, can you convince me? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #16
Trustee

Why climb the highest mountain? Why go skydiving? Why explore the far corners of the world? It's human nature to do so; because it's there.

Your questions are legit alright -yes they read and appear to be real questions. However, it's not our job to convince you.

Why don't you do what I did and fork over $1400 on a prosumer cam, go through miles of tape and endless days of testing and then make an informed decision? You know, my HC1 is the worst camera I've every used. However, after breaking it and going back to cutting a few DV25 projects, I'm ready to shell out for another one.

Bottom line, why should I care if you dislike HDV? Now give me back the three minutes I've wasted posting this blunt truth.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #17
Trustee

Peter's right, of course, you can talk these things to death, and end up still unsure about any of it. But HDV is the new, inexpensive, fun, stuff, that holds out the promise of better images than we have been settling for. You have to actually check it out, see how you would use it, what it might actually do for you. I initially bought the inexpensive A-1 to get my feet wet with. After a period of playing with it, testing it, comparing to the PD 170, I went off to Italy and shot an entire project on it. The finished project is 30 min long. Friends, collegues, and random observers love the look of it, even shown on SD DVD. People who were on the shoot can't believe the the movie actually came out of that tiny camera. My overall impression is that this movie "looks" better than my prior ones. I'm more than satisfied and am not gonna go back to DV. Exploring this technology has been a fun adventure that is still unfolding. Another way to move ahead is to migrate to bigger chip SD cameras; they'll give you better images, but the cost is quite a bit more.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Lee,

Thanks for the "Heads Up" concerning the "TimeWarp" feature in After Effects.

That certainly looks interesting.

I used Vegas 6.0d to create the 1% slow motion. I just created a velocity envelope and set the velocity to 1%. Ideally, I should have used 1.6666% percent but this level of grandularity is not avaiable
(1/60 = .0166666666666667) . In any case, it worked great with very little effort.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #19
New Boot

My suggestion would be to get the Panasonic HVX200 DVD which talks about the camera and how it compares to HDV. They actually have a shot of a DVX100B and an HDV Sony cam split screen. The Sony cam is blurry/faded and the colors is way off. The 100B the cameras a bright no motion blur. Plus, with the fact that HDV has to drop resolution to adjust for whats going on in the frame where as the HVX200 doesn't.
Andrew Mcarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #20
Major Player

I'm not so sure I'd give too much credence to the image from the Sony camera on a piece of Panasonic's promotional material, but that just may be me.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #21
Major Player

I'm not personally sold on the idea of getting a purely HDV camera myself.

What I'm likely to do is get either an HVX or one of the Canon cameras with SDI out connections (since these have options to bypass HDV compression) at some point next year.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #22
Inner Circle

The beauty of having HD-SDI out in an HDV camera allows one to use the internal tape mechanisam (HDV) whenever appropriate, and also having the luxury of much higher quality output via HD-SDI whenever necessary.

The number of available HD-SDI recording devices should increase in the future. But, for many applications, HDV does work well.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Andrew: the original question here is why anyone might want to shoot HD today when delivery options are somewhat problematic, and that would apply to the HVX200 as well as HDV cameras. In fact one of the problems with the HVX200 is that there's no practical way to deliver the full original image quality to viewers, so footage from that camera has to be compressed to the same delivery codecs as people shooting HDV. There may still be advantages to shooting DVCProHD in some situations, but HDV works fine for many of us and will look good to most viewers compared to SD DVDs. Plus as I noted before, you can run HDV cameras in widescreen DV mode for SD output and avoid any concerns about HDV compression issues.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Andrew: the original question here is why anyone might want to shoot HD today when delivery options are somewhat problematic...

...as I noted before, you can run HDV cameras in widescreen DV mode for SD output and avoid any concerns about HDV compression issues.
Bingo! Get an HDV camera and you can still work in DV.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

Shoot, capture, and edit in HDV; output to HDV, DV, etc.

heath
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #26
Major Player

My two cents : Yes, HDV gives a better picture than DV. Shooting in 16:9 is important today and will become more important. However, high compression results in loss of quality. Still frames of HDV are unacceptable in some situations. I have struggled with these concepts for about a year, and am going to go with the HVX-200 and DVCPRO HD. It is also difficult to deliver to users today, but at least the archived files will be less compressed and perhaps more useful in the future when higher data rate delivery becomes commonplace. I don't think that even HD-DVD or Blu-ray are going to be the answer, although they may be useful for archiving large files. They too rely on complex compression codecs to lower the data rate of the original video. They will undoubtedly be better than current DVD recordings, but compression reduces quality.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #27
Inner Circle

If you want to stay in a 4:3 world, shoot the 150. Its a great camera.

If you want to stay in the SD world, shoot the 150, Its a great camera.

If you want 16:9 and HDV resolution, you have to change. That's all. It's your issue not anyone elses.

I have VX2000, and the FX1. The VX2000 was great recently in a shoot of a musical, where lighting was an issue. It was 4:3, which I letterboxed to 16:9 with an overlay. I came out nice, but it was not HDV. It was for DVD delivery, so thats okay.

The Texas shootout pointed out that each camera tested had its pluses and its negatives. HDV was not condemned. You indicate that HDV is compressed, but even in compressed format, the resolution is far superior to your SD. Its a tool man ! One to use if you need it for your business or pleasure.
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

I looked at the white paper about the Z1 and FX1, and then I looked at the picture. The compression meant nothing to me when I saw that image. I just wish Panasonic would release their info on the HVX200 like Sony did with their flagship HDV cameras.

heath
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

For what its worth, I have been very pleased with the stills produced by the XH H1, as have been my film oriented friends.

Taking a still photo while you are recording or not, results in a ".JPG" of around 1,200KB. If you take a still from an HDV recording it results in a 483KB to 545KB file.

Have you seen or taken any stills with the XL H1?

While these stills are not comparable to a high end still camera, they do fit many user's needs.

The still capability of the XL H1 is very useful, in my opinion. No matter if you are recording or not, or playing back a tape, all you have to do is press the photo button. This process, while recording, does not interfere with the recording in any way. This is a major improvement over the Xl1s.
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #30
Inner Circle

HDV downconverted to SD will give you more color info than native SD when you burn to dvd. also, that color info will allow you to pull better keys.

and the extra rez is great when you crop and zoom in post.

It's just better.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition