HD Playback, A Question for BOB! (^_^) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD Playback, A Question for BOB! (^_^)

Hello all,

I've been looking at footage (.m2t) taken from a Canon HV10. I've been using VLC, and I've noticed that the footage seems to look better (most of the time) when using the 'Bob' option under the Deinterlace menu. In all honesty, in looks like 60fps. Could anyone quickly explain what 'Bob' is doing, and why the video looks so smooth?

Thank again.
James Burland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:43 AM   #2
Trustee

A dumb bob deinterlaces each field of interlaced footage and plays each one back as a frame .... so that you get double-framerate progressive footage.

The better ones also adjust the image vertically (by an amount equivalent to one scan line, I think) to reduce flickering.

A smart bob doubles the framerate in the same way, but only deinterlaces those parts of the image that are moving, thereby retaining more detail.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Graham . . . that's explains things nicely.

I have a HV10 arriving in the next couple of days - I love that 60fps look, is there any way of translating that over into another codec, such as H.264? I know that VLC does transcoding, could I use that perhaps?
James Burland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Trustee

You can easily apply a bob using freeware tools like avisynth or virtualdub, if you are familiar with either of those.

Otherwise, some of the commercial encoders may do it - for example I know Procoder does. And After Effects will do it through "interpret footage".

You may find it easiest to produce an intermediate bobed avi file, that you then feed into your encoder.

EDIT: actually yes, VLC may well do it ... I've just never tried it that way!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition