The "The camera to get" - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #91
Inner Circle

Oh come on, dignity?? Who needs THAT!

On the plus side if you take your girl and she runs off with the guy behind the camera counter, your camera budget just increased <wink>! And don't forget you've eliminated the competition for "edit time"....

Any cam will get a shot in the hands of someone that knows their camera - it may not be perfect, but it's the shooter, NOT the camera - to steal and mangle a cliche - "cameras don't shoot people..." oh never mind...

It's like the Beatles recording on a 4 track - did they "get it right"? Now we have unlimited tracks and mostly unlistenable crap... tell me where the technology "improved" the situation. Technology does NOT = TALENT.

The "camera to get" is the camera you can afford - if it's a second hand, once top of the line cam, now forlorn on Ebay for $100, then so be it, shoot with your heart until everyone including yourself decides you stink at video or you get more budget and more knowledge.

As you get more knowledge, and more budget, keep getting the best you can afford, learn how it works and how to work around any shortcomings (those are ALWAYS going to be present, sorry technology is never PERFECT...)

The "best" camera is the one you are comfortable with and have with you when "the shot" comes at you - it might even be one of those nasty little cell phone cams... but if you GOT THE SHOT, who cares if it isn't perfect? If your fancy "perfect" camera is in the equipment locker when the shot of a lifetime comes along...

Sure, if you have a specific use, and time to plan and research, you can probably optimize the technology to the purpose (hammers people... hammers), but it will never be the same for EVERYONE... and TALENT will beat technology EVERY TIME...

No doubt it's good to discuss what's out there, and it can help one decide where to blow their budget, but "best" is OPINION, cameras are just tools or toys, get what you can afford and enjoy playing/working!

OK, now for the vote... was THAT dignified enough??

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #92
Major Player

Excellent Post Dave B...

With all that said......... Just to try and answer with my opinion on the original question asked....

My recomendation for "the" overall best camera for the $$ and "the" one to get would be the Canon XH-A1. At about $3300 for reputable authorized dealers I just don't think there's really anything that this camera can't at least do competently and I think it's a "small" step above others in the price range.

If money were an object though and I had to pick "the" camera to get in the lower price range, I'd go with a Canon HV20. For $1000 you get a solid camera with HDMI output which is an interesting new technology for getting video into the PC.

It's not that I'm a huge Canon fan over the others because I own a Sony and like Panasonic & JVC as well. I just happen to think that right now, for the money spent, those are your best two bets in that mid-tier entry level semi professional world...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #93
Regular Crew

I'm starting to lose interest in the 24P, or I should say I'm less impressed by HV20's 24P mode... so I'm really curious about which camera in the $1500 price range will handle motion the best. We've all seen the "trails" and "blur" from consumer cameras and I was hoping to find the best one for movement and panning.

thanks.
Steve Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #94
Trustee

The "best" for movement and panning would be the cam with the highest frame rate. Considering your price point that leaves you with 60i based cams. As far as blurring and trails go, that is strictly a result of shutter speed and nothing to do with "consumer" cam. If you want low motion blur, shoot with a high shutter speed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition