The "The camera to get" - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #46
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
this "serious amateur" is making $10,000 next week for a shoot with a pair of canon A1s. i can hardly wait until i can move up another rung on the ladder! i wanna turn pro!
That's easy, just buy a JVC HD200! ;)
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #47
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
That's easy, just buy a JVC HD200! ;)
omigosh, who knew it was so easy??? thanks for unveiling the Secrets of Pro Video! there oughta be a DVD version...maybe with a bathtub scene. or two!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #48
Wrangler

Quote:
there oughta be a DVD version...maybe with a bathtub scene. or two!
Be careful Meryem, Dylan might just make good on that request. Bashful is not a term I would use to describe him. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #49
Regular Crew

The only thing holding me back from going all out with the Canon HV20 is the fact it uses tapes. Yeah I understand the quality is better than AVCHD but if there were a hard drive camera... that had 24P or comparable video quality to the HV20 I'd be sold.

Is there really no Hard Drive camcorder out that can compete with the HV20 (quality/price) ??

-thanks
Steve Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sorry Mel, only cameras that are for sale on shelves right now are eligible. If you can't get it now, it ain't the camera to get.
If you need a camera now that's certainly true, but if you're still in decision-making mode then the Sony XDCAM EX is relevant because it should solve a lot of issues with other sub-$10K HD cameras. I've talked to several people recently who are confident that this will be "the" camera to get when it ships, and are excited to finally see something like this coming. Until it ships there isn't a comparable "the" camera because everything else in this price range has too many drawbacks.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #51
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
I've talked to several people recently who are confident that this will be "the" camera to get when it ships, and are excited to finally see something like this coming. Until it ships there isn't a comparable "the" camera because everything else in this price range has too many drawbacks.
People say that about every new camera that comes out.

The point of my post is that there is no, and likely never will be a single "the camera" to get. Yes, I love the specs of the XDCAM EX, and will probably buy one for cinematic use, if it turns out a more pleasing picture than the HD200 or HVX200. Especially with the Sony 40% off card, that Greg Boston gave me.

However....
The XLH1 will still be a better tool for sports and nature (lens options)
The JVC PROHD cams may retain their ENG title (pro ergonomics)
The XHA1 is still the best bang for the buck.

Without the long format of recording to tape, it may not be a good tool for weddings, certain documentaries, ENG, etc... until the chips come down in price or go up in size. Yes, big chips are better, but recording time is everything to some people. That's one of the main reasons I ditched my HVX200.

There is a different "the" camera for each category. There likely always will be.
So when people ask, "what is the camera to get?"
The only answer is "what do you want to shoot with it?"

Realisticaly, the XHA1 is probably more camera than almost everyone on here needs. So maybe, it is "the" camera to get...
(XHA1 owners can quote me on that)
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #52
Wrangler

Quote:
omigosh, who knew it was so easy??? thanks for unveiling the Secrets of Pro Video! there oughta be a DVD version...maybe with a bathtub scene for two!
Sarcasm....? On the internet...? :O

Ok now I know you might have taken it personaly, but to be fair, I did not say the XHA1 was an amateur camera. I said that it owns the "serious amateur" category. This just means that if an amateur was looking to buy a serious video camera, it would be "the" camera to get. The XHA1 gives you all the features most people need for a fantastic price. The camera in your hands is no way a reflection of your professional status.... Unless you are an indie filmmaker, then you need to get an HVX200 and a Mac so you can fit in and be cool.
Just to make XHA1 owners happy, I've changed my category to read "Best bang for the buck."

PS. re: bathtub scene for two... Your place or mine? ;)
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #53
Wrangler

Quote:
Especially with the Sony 40% off card, that Greg Boston gave me.
A-ha! I got you again. Turn the card over and look closely. That offer expired in late 2003. Too bad the XDCAM EX took this long to get here. ;-)

Say Dylan, were you still interested in that seahorse ranch I have for sale off the coast of Nova Scotia?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Royer View Post
The only thing holding me back from going all out with the Canon HV20 is the fact it uses tapes. Yeah I understand the quality is better than AVCHD but if there were a hard drive camera... that had 24P or comparable video quality to the HV20 I'd be sold.

Is there really no Hard Drive camcorder out that can compete with the HV20 (quality/price) ??

-thanks
The simple answer is no. However, if you have 5k to invest, the Sony V1U with the DR60 hard drive option gives you the best of both worlds, hard drive and tape recording. Plus, you get your 24P.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #55
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Royer View Post

-thanks
Well... JVC has a hard drive based HD camera the same size as the HV20, it's about $400 more, and reviewers have said that the HV20 has a much better picture quality. So maybe it competes, but doesn't win.
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Well... JVC has a hard drive based HD camera the same size as the HV20, it's about $400 more, and reviewers have said that the HV20 has a much better picture quality. So maybe it competes, but doesn't win.
Actually, it doesn't even compete. It's video quality is rated lower than any of the top consumer HDV camcorders. Its low light performance has also been criticized.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #57
Wrangler

just to clarify, i wasn't taking your "serious amateur" comment too personally, dylan. i was just being flippant (what? moi? shocking!). but i did think that it was slightly misleading--at this price point, we read here daily about the multitudes of serious amateurs who can afford a camera this powerful, buy it, then blame the camera for not producing good footage on auto. or feel overwhelmed by its feature set, etc. and i think we're reading about this with such frequency, exactly *because* of the perception that it's the right camera for the serious amateur, when it is the right camera for the serious amateur who enjoys being challenged. not for the serious amateur who thinks that paying more $$ for better technology somehow equates with better footage.

you'd like my tub. it has adorable little claw feet.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Quote:
Without the long format of recording to tape, it may not be a good tool for weddings, certain documentaries, ENG, etc... until the chips come down in price or go up in size.
This chips should be at least 16 GB each and possibly 32 GB when the camera ships, which is enough for 2-4 hours of continuous recording at full quality with two cards in the camera at a cost of ~$500 or so. It's high-end event videographers who are interested in this camera, because it offers something better than standard HDV without the time limitations and extraordinary memory costs of the HVX200. (Plus bigger sensors, etc.)

Agreed that there's never going to be one right camera for every need, and that there will always be something newer and better coming at some point.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #59
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
This chips should be at least 16 GB each and possibly 32 GB when the camera ships,
Not sure if it's changed since NAB when I spoke to the responsible Sony rep (thanks to Greg) he said they had no information as to what chips, if any, it would ship with, and no price. So, if it DOES ship with 2 32GB cars, you and me are going down to the local pub and drinking for joy, cause that will thrill me just as much. In the meantime what it ships with is just speculation, as is the price. I'll be happy if it's less than $500 for a single 16GB card.
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #60
Trustee

Quote:
People say that about every new camera that comes out.

However....
The XLH1 will still be a better tool for sports and nature (lens options)
The JVC PROHD cams may retain their ENG title (pro ergonomics)
The XHA1 is still the best bang for the buck.
(XHA1 owners can quote me on that)
The 720p60 would make the JVC 200/250 series a much better option for sports. As well if shooting "nature" I would prefer using a progressive mode (still shots in post) that gives best resolution in class. And of course the JVC's give you lens options as well.
I agree with the A1 being best bang-for the buck. Great value.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition