Proper way to downrez HD > Sd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 6th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Proper way to downrez HD > Sd

I accidentally started my first wedding in HDV, the rest was done SD. Is it safe to just drop them all in an SD project in Premiere and half size the HDV clips?
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #2
New Boot

why not downconvert in camera from hdv to dv to try and match to your sd footage which should be a better match(depends on cameras used)
John Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Major Player

i used the Canon H1 and a firestore....how would I downconvert 'in camera'?
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Let me get your question straight. You filmed a wedding, 1 wedding. The beginning of the wedding was in HDV and the rest of the clips were SD. Now you have to edit it. Your question is, “how should I downconvert the first few shots to SD from HDV”.

If that IS your question then yes in your NLE you can just half size the HD clips. Go to about 45% and it should be fine. Unfortunately the damage has already been done by shooting in HDV. You MAY see compression artifacts, and unfortunately there is no way to remove them. The advantage of shooting SD is there are not as many compression artifacts. I doubt it will be noticeable this time, but watch out in the future.

By the way. Even if you didn’t downconvert there are still compression artifacts in most HDV footage. That’s why for now I only shoot SD, but I’ll save this chat for another time.

Have fun
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan James View Post
Let me get your question straight. You filmed a wedding, 1 wedding. The beginning of the wedding was in HDV and the rest of the clips were SD. Now you have to edit it. Your question is, “how should I downconvert the first few shots to SD from HDV”.

If that IS your question then yes in your NLE you can just half size the HD clips. Go to about 45% and it should be fine. Unfortunately the damage has already been done by shooting in HDV. You MAY see compression artifacts, and unfortunately there is no way to remove them. The advantage of shooting SD is there are not as many compression artifacts. I doubt it will be noticeable this time, but watch out in the future.

By the way. Even if you didn’t downconvert there are still compression artifacts in most HDV footage. That’s why for now I only shoot SD, but I’ll save this chat for another time.

Have fun

What are you talking about? damage has already been done? LOL so we should all sell our HDV camera and buy SD camera to shoot from now on? or keep our HDV camera but shoot in SD?. LOL
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan James View Post
You MAY see compression artifacts, and unfortunately there is no way to remove them. The advantage of shooting SD is there are not as many compression artifacts. I doubt it will be noticeable this time, but watch out in the future. By the way. Even if you didn’t downconvert there are still compression artifacts in most HDV footage. That’s why for now I only shoot SD, but I’ll save this chat for another time. Have fun
Well, the reply is funny indeed, and if you just wanted to humor us, I'll give you nine out of ten, Alan (one point penalty for not mentioning that this is a joke)!

But seriously, HDV footage can be easily ruined by improper downrezzing. From my experience it's not easy to mix DV and HDV footage on the same timeline (my experience is with PremPro) and still get good results. If it's possible, I would suggest working the HDV portion in HDV and downconverting only at the end to SD mpeg2 for DVD, I suppose that's your final product.

If, for any reason, you need to mix the footage on the same timeline, I would decompress and downrez the HDV portion with VirtualDub MPEG2 using a high quality intermediate (uncompressed or HuffYUV) and add that to my SD timeline.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition