Comparison: SD 2/3 chip -- HD 1/3 chip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Comparison: SD 2/3 chip -- HD 1/3 chip

Comparison: SD 2/3 chip -- HD 1/3 chip

What is going to look better?

Asking for people's with experience comparing views.

Thanks.
Jasper Blunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Space Hipster

In my opinion - the HD chips, no doubt. I use a JVC HD200 and a Sony DNW-7WS Beta SX. The SX has a great picture, but putting it up against HD video on a widescreen HD monitor, well...
2/3" chips look great - in standard definition. But once you go HD, it's hard for any standard def camera to compete.
On a regular non-HD monitor, that might be a tougher comparison. But given a choice (and I do have that choice), I'd go HD every time.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Jasper,

I think you need to clarify if the output is for SD or HD.

Because as stated, if the output is HD, then the SD does not stand a chance.

If for SD, then I would stay with the 2/3" chips especially with a more robust color format like 4:2:2
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM   #4
New Boot

Well the output would be for HD so...
Jasper Blunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Your comparison is messed up. You're not comparing formats; you're comparing chip size. In that respect, a 2/3" chip is always going to be better than a 1/3" chip, ie... better low light capability and better latitude. Now if you are comparing cameras, a broadcast 2/3rd inch SD camera vs. a prosumer 1/3rd inch HD camera. Then of course the HD camera is going to win that battle as far as resolution is concerned. However, compare them in certain environments like low light. The better picture might be the SD camera with 2/3" chips for some people.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Trustee

I have compared a SONY DSR-500 (2/3" chips DVCAM) to a tiny SONY HC1 (1/3" single chip HDV) and in terms of raw detail and a more natural image the HC1 beat the pants off the DSR-500. SD video will always look like video where HD tends to look more lifelike.

Of course when it comes to low light performance the DSR-500 crushes the HC1 but I always tell people you can add light but you can't add pixels to a camera.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Major Player

The HD camera will have a way more detailed, more crisp, way sharper pictures with better defined edges. In every other respect though, the 2/3 inch SD will be better. The larger chips will give you better low light performance, more forgiving exposure lattitudes, more pleasing fall offs to highlights and shadows, better color reproduction, and be able to capture better color saturation as well as less noise overall.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition