Edius Pro 3/Edius NX anounced! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old December 1st, 2004, 05:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Edius Pro 3/Edius NX anounced!

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/E..._EDIUSPro3.asp

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/E...NX_for_HDV.asp

Upgrade Edius 2.x to Edius Pro for as little as $149 and get the Canopus HQ HDV codec so you can start editing HDV in RT today.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dang, ya beat me to the punch for posting about this! I think we should emphasize that this is big news for anyone interested in HDV editing, as it offers real time editing and I/O features which are unlikely to be matched soon by anyone else. The only possible competition I can think of is Pinnacle LE 6 Pro, but I suspect we'll find that's not even close to what Edius NX offers.

It's now officially time for Mac users to throw in the towel and buy PCs for their HDV editing! :-)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Shaw : Dang, ya beat me to the punch for posting about this! I think we should emphasize that this is big news for anyone interested in HDV editing, as it offers real time editing and I/O features which are unlikely to be matched soon by anyone else. The only possible competition I can think of is Pinnacle LE 6 Pro, but I suspect we'll find that's not even close to what Edius NX offers.

It's now officially time for Mac users to throw in the towel and buy PCs for their HDV editing! :-) -->>>

hehe.. Yep.. It's looking REALLY good for us PC users who wish to venture into HDV land.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:03 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Outstanding. Can't wait to congratulate Brando, Kara, Robert and all the other Canopus folks in person at Dv Expo next week!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

And me... Oh wait.. I won't be there. I'll be at NAB again though. It was nice meeting you at the last NAB.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:53 PM   #6
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

$400 trade in rebate for Storm 2 owners!!

Canopus has put together a customer loyalty program for existing Storm 2 owners!

$400 trade-in rebate when you purchase EDIUS NX for HDV with Expansion Kit & RETURN YOUR DVStorm2 or DVStorm2 Pro CARD

* Details: Customers who purchase EDIUS NX for HDV with Expansion Kit and own a DVStorm2 or DVStorm2 Pro are eligible for a $400 rebate from Canopus Corporation. To claim rebate customers must mail the following to Canopus Corporation:

1- Completed rebate form
2- Copy of invoice/receipt for EDIUS NX for HDV
3- Original UPC barcode from EDIUS NX for HDV box AND the expansion kit box.
4- Original DVStorm2 or DVStorm2 Pro card.

Please note:
Original DVStorm2 or DVStorm2 Pro card must be returned to Canopus with no physical damage, markings or alterations. Offer good Dec 1, 2004 - Jan 30, 2005. Rebates must be postmarked by Feb 15, 2005. Please allow 4-6 weeks for rebate check to ship.

Click here for rebate form http://www.videoguys.com/ediusNX.html

BTW, we are taking back orders. We hope to have units available in a few short weeks!

Gary
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:46 PM   #7
Skyonic New York

just so folks understand edius pro 3 is $149 upgrade without a printed manual $10 more for a printed one... $699 to buy ..

edius pro 3 is a software only sd/hd/hdv solution that uses the 1394 card for i/o dv/hdv

edius pro 3 is pretty much rt when it comes to dv..i'll test it out with hdv this weekend, my copy arrives friday...

edius pro 3 will not edit progressive or 24p mode

as for edius nx it is suppose to be the nex gen dv storm card...

it requires a 64bit pci slot in order to get any hdv functionality, if your system does not have this, the card will default to sd mode and you gain nothing when editing hdv

if you own any compaq/hp workstation like me..your out of luck
both my 1 month old 6200 and 8200 won't work in hdv mode

edius nx hardware will not capture hdv, for that you can use a plain ole 1394 card, the extra expansion kit includes that

the card costs $1,300, which really is not bad at all, BUT..you get no hd output augh..

for hd out put you need to get an expansion kit...it will take an extra slot in your computer plus a front bay...thats right you can connect in the front (like when the storm first came out) and in the back

the front bay gives you firewire/and sd anlog..the back give syou SD component video output, additional unbalanced stereo RCA audio output...i'm pretty sure you can skip with the front bay is you don't need it and already have a firewire card..

so to get hdv out you need to spend and extra $800 ( i have a feeling that price might come down)

if you know you want to go that route your best bet is to just get the whole this in one sitting at $2,100

i will also add that you can get an optional (no price yet) kit with some great plugins:
> Alias® Maya® 6
> Bauhaus Mirage™ v1.2
> NewTek® LightWave 3D® 7
> discreet® 3ds max® 6
> discreet combustion®

adobe after effects, premiere pro and photoshop are included with edius nx

and your of editing hdv in rt with hd out put...nice...

ok so the only other thing is if you need to print to an hd deck for that you need to spend more and get canopus hd codec at $1,000, it becomes the most expensive codec you will ever buy..this thing will give you panasonic hd output as well...

i haven't used edius 3, i will hold my judgement till my copy arrives friday...but i will say that edius 3 is keyframeless...why they just don't site down and add a keyframe modual is beyond me...instead they wrote an app that will rip dvds and cds...this kind of logic is indicative of why longtime users like me have become so frustrated with canopus...but on the other hand the performance of there products is why we stick by them

i hope this helps...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Let me dispel a rumor or two here.

>>>it requires a 64bit pci slot in order to get any hdv functionality, if your system does not have this, the card will default to sd mode and you gain nothing when editing hdv<<<<<

Not entirely true. If it's in a 32bit PCI slot the component HD out is disabled. You can still edit HDV, you just won't get the RT output through the component add-on.

>>>>>ok so the only other thing is if you need to print to an hd deck for that you need to spend more and get canopus hd codec at $1,000<<<<<<<

Nope.. again not entirely true. If you want to use the Panasonic DVCPro-HD Canopus codec, then yeah, you'll need to pay extra. Not "if you need to print to an HD deck".... But, if you need to use Panasonic DVCPro-HD then you'll want the codec pack and lets face it, if you are using DVCPro HD then paying an extra $1K for the codec is getting off CHEAP.

>>>>>why they just don't site down and add a keyframe modual is beyond me<<<<<<

It's just not in this version. They are writing a full keyframer to have keyframing for every aspect of every effect/transition. Don't worry, it'll probably be in before it reaches 3.5. (I was surprised it didn't make it in this version)
Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:21 AM   #9
Skyonic New York

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Dontigney : Let me dispel a rumor or two here. -->>>

Mike i'm suprised you would reply to my post this way,... my post was very candid, all my info was from techs i spoke with over the phone and through Kenny down under...

if you go to the edius nx web site you will see an faq there...check number 9

9. Will EDIUS NX for HDV work in a 32-bit PCI slot?
Yes – the 64-bit PCI bus board can be used in a 32-bit PCI slot, however, the HD-based hardware acceleration and HD component output capabilities will be disabled. HD editing will switch to software mode, which will yield reduced performance. SD-based editing and output capabilities are unaffected.

key words are :
HD-based hardware acceleration and HD component output capabilities will be disabled

as for the codec and you can ask Kenny about this he should be up, the only way to print to the panny deck is by paying an extra $1,000, ...now you could of course output using sdi, but that would not be loss less digital transfer, and frankly pretty stupid when you can do it through firewire for an extra grand...how else besides going the sdi route can you get your stuff to an hd deck?

if there is another way i'm all ears...i was phone call away from picking up the nx, but alas it won't work with my systems...otherwise i think its an excellent first step

as for future versions, well we can leave that kind of talk to the area 51 forum where all kinds of rumors float, we both have no idea when keyframes will be implemented, as canopus user since 1999 i have heard it all before...

all my info is straight from canopus...lets not mislead anyone here
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:54 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It is my understanding that even with Edius Pro3 it is possible to outut back to a HD deck over 1394. The only thing missing is component output, so that it is not really possible to monitor on a true HD set during editing. So with just Pro3 it would be possible to edit HDV and output to either the FX1 or a DVHS deck. With a 64bit slot there would be hardware acceleration of HD. To get component monitoring would need the expansion board and bay. So if like me someone has a DVRaptor RT2 getting Edius Pro3 will do for now. I will wait for a PCIe version of my DVRaptoRT2!!!! Upgrading to NX means a new computer and with PCIe on the horizon 64bit slots are questionable for me anyway even though a server type of product is really required for performance. I will evaluate the AspectHD 2.5 plug in for Premiere Pro 1.5 and see how fast it really is in the next week as my FX1 just arrived yesterday.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

One thing worth pointing out here is that the pricing of Edius NX is pretty reasonable when you consider that there isn't currently any comparable product at any kind of similar price. As far as I know Canopus is the only company shipping HDV editing solutions with real-time HD monitoring output, so being able to get that in a package retailing for $2098 seems fair, especially considering that's about what the original DVStorm cost four years ago.

Having to pay an extra $1000 for the DVCPro codec pack sounds a little steep, but again there's no one else offering HDV editing with HD monitoring and DVCPro output at any price. You can convert HDV footage to DVCProHD and edit/output from Final Cut Pro on Macs, but that's not nearly as convenient a solution as Edius NX.

Bottom line: Canopus is the only company to successfully pull everything together for effective HD/HDV editing with such a wide range of options. They've gone overnight from being near the back of the pack for HDV support to being all the way at the front of the pack and then some, and I'll be surprised if anyone catches up with them any time soon. The Matrox Axio is the only other announced product which might be able to compete, and so far we haven't seen any indication they'll be able to match Canopus' pricing or feature set.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:57 AM   #12
Skyonic New York

<<<-- Originally posted by Ron Evans : It is my understanding that even with Edius Pro3 it is possible to outut back to a HD deck over 1394.
Ron Evans -->>>

i think you mean "hdv deck"...i was told yes edius pro 3, given you have enough horse power, will spit out hdv back over your firewire cable...

only pansonic hd decks can get hd over firewire, and for that you need to pay extra to get the codec...sony hd decks can get a stream via firewire....some sony hdcam decks i have worked with have firewire port but thats just for down converting to a dvcam stream...
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Mann Z. : <<<-- Originally posted by Michael Dontigney : Let me dispel a rumor or two here. -->>>

Mike i'm suprised you would reply to my post this way,... my post was very candid, all my info was from techs i spoke with over the phone and through Kenny down under...

if you go to the edius nx web site you will see an faq there...check number 9

9. Will EDIUS NX for HDV work in a 32-bit PCI slot?
Yes – the 64-bit PCI bus board can be used in a 32-bit PCI slot, however, the HD-based hardware acceleration and HD component output capabilities will be disabled. HD editing will switch to software mode, which will yield reduced performance. SD-based editing and output capabilities are unaffected.

key words are :
HD-based hardware acceleration and HD component output capabilities will be disabled<<<<<<

Right.. But You said " requires a 64bit pci slot in order to get any hdv functionality." Which is not true *entirely*. That's why I made it more clear. I wasn't flaming you or calling you a liar, I was just clarifying the statement.

>>>>>>>>>
as for the codec and you can ask Kenny about this he should be up, the only way to print to the panny deck is by paying an extra $1,000, ...now you could of course output using sdi, but that would not be loss less digital transfer, and frankly pretty stupid when you can do it through firewire for an extra grand...how else besides going the sdi route can you get your stuff to an hd deck?<<<<<<<<

Through the component. The codec pack is for the DVCPro 50 and HD codecs. You can still output to HDCam without the codec pack.
The only HD decks that have firewire (for HD input) are the Panasonic decks. That's why I made it clear that "ok so the only other thing is if you need to print to an hd deck for that you need to spend more and get canopus hd codec at $1,000" only applied to the Panasonic DVCPro 50 and HD codecs. If you are using HDCam or HDV you don't need the codec pack.

>>>>>>>>
as for future versions, well we can leave that kind of talk to the area 51 forum where all kinds of rumors float, we both have no idea when keyframes will be implemented, as canopus user since 1999 i have heard it all before...

all my info is straight from canopus...lets not mislead anyone here -->>>

I know. I was just clarifying the statements. I didn't mean it to come off like i was accusing you.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:33 PM   #14
Skyonic New York

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Dontigney : Right.. But You said " requires a 64bit pci slot in order to get any hdv functionality." Which is not true *entirely*. That's why I made it more clear. I wasn't flaming you or calling you a liar, I was just clarifying the statement. -->>>

what do you mean by "not true entirely"?
will the card help or not

Mike if the card is disabled how is spending $1,200 or $2,000 for a kit on hdv card going to help you?

I want to make sure folks who are in the same boat like me understand they need a 64 bit slot to get any hdv functionality out of this card...this is how canopus explained this to me

otherwise your just better off getting edius pro3 and saving the cash...
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:52 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The card requires a 64bit PCI slot *to enable HD component out in RT*. I was told that in a 32bit slot it disabled the RT component out basically making it a SD card.
The Canopus HQ codec is a *software* codec that comes with the NX so even if the NX is in a 32bit slot, you can still edit HDV/HD. Your post made it sound like if it wasn't in a 64bit slot then you wouldn't be able to edit HDV which is misleading. I'm sure it was unintentional on yoru part, I just wanted to clarify it.

If you want to stick with never having RT component out then just get Edius Pro 3 and run it in software mode. If you think you would want to eventually get RT component out but don't want to upgrade your mobo, then get the NX and use it in your current system until you can upgrade. If you want true RT component out of HD footage now, then get the NX and put it in a 64bit PCI slot, hook up the component to an HD montior and be the envy of your peers.

hehe
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE