Any Movers from Apple To Edius Here? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any Movers from Apple To Edius Here?

Any regrets? I saw a demo and being a FCPS user the one thing that blew me away was the lack of rendering needed for transitions or effects. IT seems a LOT faster...

My main concern would be that I also use Color & DVD Studio Pro, and am hoping to use the Magic Bullet plug-ins before too long... Does Edius in y'all's opinion do a good job handling "special effects?"

Thanks for any input!
Marc S. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Edius

I love Edius. I use it both at my day job and on the side when I freelance. I've used Avid, Premier, and FCP before- but nothing is as fast, simple, or pain free as Edius. Mixing and matching resolutions on the same timeline without rendering, powerful color correction, and high quality editing codecs make it my favorite editor.

However, Edius only really works well as an editing program. If you are wanting to do lots of effects, even simple chroma keying, you are going to want to use something else. Edius works great as a fast and stable platform for cutting video, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles for doing super fancy visual effects. I do all of my effects work in After Effects for this reason.

So if your looking for a all in one solution for editing, effects, and DVD authoring- Edius is not it. If your looking for a simple, fast, powerful video editor and are going to be doing your effects and DVD authoring elsewhere, Edius is a great choice.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I find it amusing that the greater majority of editors that boast about FCP Studio have never actually used Edius or any other editing platform. The marketing behind MAC is so good that the public just believes that it is more efficient.

I use both and as and can openly say that each has their good and bad points.

In short, for straight editing Edius leaves FCP for dead. For good animations and titles you need a MAC. The main winner is it's real-time editing ability - no rendering required (generally speaking).

An Edius setup on a PC is a fraction of the price of a MAC.

The Magic Bullet filters have been re-created by someone in Edius and are available for free download if that interests you.

The reason Edius has real-time effects which do not require rendering is because they are created by Grass Valley themselves, unlike Final Cut where most plug-ins are 3rd party. Having said that, until Edius 5 was released, I would have said that if you require high-end films look to use Final Cut because although it requires rendering, it would give you those high-end results. Edius 5 now comes with additional 3rd party film-look plug-ins that can require a bit of rendering but are very very good.

Making MPG files wether it be SD or HD on Edius is a breeze. Examples:
1 hour of HD-V footage project with lots of filters, slow mo's etc. takes 15 minutes to produce an SD MPG (8000MBPS highest quality).
1 Hour & 12 minute HD-V project with lots of filters, slow m's etc. takes 25 minutes to produce a HD MPG (40,000 MBPS).

Try doing that on Final Cut!

For titles and animations, I would still use After Effects & Motion (MAC). No doubt about it, titles is an area where PC leaves a lot to be desired.

I used to swear by DVD Studio Pro until I tried Adobe Encore. It takes a while to get used to how it works because it is so different but I would not go back.

I recently encoded the same file using Edius, FCP and Premier, and I must say that although in some high-end version exports the colours were better on FCP and premier, unless comparing side by side you won't know the difference. Premier not only produced a very high quality export, but it also did it in a fraction of the time it took Final Cut. Edius is always the quickest to export though.
Phivo Christodoulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
The Magic Bullet filters have been re-created by someone in Edius and are available for free download if that interests you
Not to hijack this thread too much, but this appears to be outdated--replaced by a not-yet-available commercial product.

Please prove me wrong. I'd love to download it!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Andy, I am not sure I understood your post.
What do you mean by not yet available? The magic bullet filters have been around for ages and can still be used in Edius 5.

The new 3rd party plugins that come with Edius 5 have exceptionally good film looks.

I hope I can help I just need to understand your question.
Phivo Christodoulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I was reading on the GV forum. I think you are talking about "Cinema Suite 3.0" by "caminostereo"? He seems to be working on something called "CINEMA SUITE XD1" which is a commercial product--but not yet available.

The posted link for Cinema Suite 3.0 is longer functional.

Or are you talking about something completely different?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't think the product will ever see the light of day. The guy made several promises on the official EDIUS forums and never delivered. His last post there was September 3rd.

If you want to check out the last free version he released (Cinema Tools 3.0 for EDIUS) you can download it here...

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
Xian Messerschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It looks like he did start selling on October 1st - he published this document (see below) in September

It's probably not a large operation though - no website, all he has is a Hotmail email address...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CSXD1_english.pdf (5.89 MB, 1001 views)
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I emailed him and, apparently, the product is available. Unfortunately, he only accepts Western Union or Moneygram for payment. :(

Last edited by Xian Messerschmidt; November 25th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

That's a bad decision on his side... once you send money with these companies, you have no control over it... he should use Paypal to gain buyer confidence.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

There is an early beta of the EDIUS After Effects Bridge that seems to run fine with Magic Bullet Looks 1.2 If you're interested, you can download it here...

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
It looks like he did start selling on October 1st - he published this document (see below) in September

It's probably not a large operation though - no website, all he has is a Hotmail email address...
I really didn't see anything that New Blue FX doesn't already offer in some manner or another.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE